- Professors: Mary Ann Cutter, Dorothea Olkowski, Raphael Sassower, Sonja Tanner, and Robert Welshon
- Professor Emeritus: Frederic Bender
- Associate Professor: Jeff Scholes (Chair)
- Assistant Professors: Jennifer Kling
- Senior Instructors: Lorraine Marie Arangno, Erik Hanson, Jennifer Jensen, Joseph Kuzma, and Patrick Yarnell
- Instructors: Karen DeVries and Colin Lewis.
Programs of Study
Philosophy teaches analytical and critical thinking, develops oral and written communication skills, and contributes to interdisciplinary understanding. Philosophy as a discipline attempts to answer perennial questions about values, human existence, and the nature of reality. Skills developed in this inquiry help philosophy students to excel in careers in law, medicine, management, education, government, writing, computer science, psychology, sociology, and ministry, among many others. Philosophy majors consistently score in the top percentiles for all majors on the GRE, LSAT, GMAT, MCAT and other graduate and professional admissions tests.
Philosophy Double Majors
Adding a philosophy major to one’s major in another discipline, thereby creating a double major, is an option for students who wish to obtain a broader perspective in their discipline for post-graduate work. All requirements for the philosophy major apply to double majors. Students may have two different majors in two different colleges or in the same college.