2023-2024 Catalog 
    Jul 22, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies, Course Registration, and Student Records


Office of the Registrar
Main Hall, Room 108
Phone: (719) 255-3361
Fax: (719) 255-3116
Email: registrar@uccs.edu 

Course Registration


Registration dates are published in the Academic Calendar  in this Catalog, in the Registration Handbook, and in the Academic Calendar published on the Office of the Registrar website. Times and details of registration, and instructions on how to register for courses via the myUCCS Portal are published in the UCCS Registration Handbook.

Immunization Requirement

        Recreation and Wellness Center
        (719) 255-4444
        Fax: (719) 255-4446
        email: wellness@uccs.edu

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment requires that all students born on or after January 1, 1957 must provide a copy of documented proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR). Housing students must provide proof of a meningococcal vaccination or booster vaccination within the past five years, or sign the Mandatory Meningococcal Disease Information waiver form prior to move-in. See the Wellness Center under the Campus Life and Services  section of this catalog for further information.

Census Date, Adding Courses, and Dropping Courses

Census Date

Census date is the last day to drop full semester length courses without penalty and receive a tuition refund for each course that is dropped. Full semester length courses are courses that meet the full 16 week term in the fall and spring and 8 weeks in the summer. Courses dropped prior to census date are not assigned an official grade. Courses dropped after census date are non-refundable and are assigned with an official grade of “W” (Withdrawn).  

Census Date Guidelines for Short Courses (Intensive courses)

Short courses are defined as courses that meet in a nontraditional or condensed pattern within a semester. These courses are often called “intensive” courses. These types of courses have special academic and financial deadlines that differ from full semester course deadlines. Short course deadlines are published on the Office of the Registrar website.

Adding Courses

Students are allowed to add full semester length courses without instructor permission/approval for the first seven days of the fall and spring semesters. In summer semesters, students are allowed to add full semester length courses without instructor permission/approval for the first three days of the semester. After the aforementioned deadlines, students must acquire approval from the instructor to enroll in a course. Only the instructor approval to add a course is required until census date. After census date, instructor and dean’s approval are required. Special deadlines apply to short courses and are published on the Office of the Registrar website.

Tuition assessment for courses added after initial registration, which would result in additional tuition charges, will be added to the student’s bill. Full semester courses added by undergraduate students after each term’s census date are not eligible for the College Opportunity Fund stipend.

Dropping Courses

Students may drop courses freely prior to the published census date for each semester and receive tuition refunds for each course dropped. Refer to the census date policy above.

After census date, students may drop full semester courses freely until the 10th week of the fall and spring semesters and the 5th week of the summer semester via the myUCCS Portal. A grade of “W” will be automatically assigned to courses dropped after census date and no refunds will be issued.

After the 10th week of the fall and spring semesters and the 5th week of the summer semester, courses may not be dropped unless there are circumstances clearly beyond the student’s control (e.g., accident, illness, etc.). In addition to the instructor’s approval, the dean of the college offering the course must approve the drop. If approved, an Add/Drop Course Form signed by all parties is required. If the instructor or dean judges that the situation does not meet the course policy for drops, they will not sign the form and the student will not be dropped from the course. Add/Drop Course Forms will not be accepted without required approval and signatures, and the drop is effective the date in which forms are received by the Office of the Registrar.

Special deadlines apply to short courses and are published on the Office of the Registrar website.

Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits must also obtain the signature of the appropriate certifying official.

If a student is requesting to drop from all of their course, this would be considered a full withdrawal from the University. Please see the “Withdrawal from the University” section below.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal means that the student is dropping all courses for which they are registered for in a specific term/semester.

A student will be allowed to withdraw from full semester length courses during the first ten weeks of the fall or spring semester or the first five weeks of the summer term. After this time, a student may not withdraw unless the circumstances are clearly beyond the student’s control; this requires the approval of the Office of the Dean of the Students. All students seeking a withdrawal after the 10th week must submit a withdrawal request through the Office of the Dean of Students with an explanation of extenuating circumstances.  

A student receiving financial aid or veteran’s benefits must obtain the approval of the appropriate certifying official. Financial aid may have to be repaid.

A withdrawal becomes effective on the date the Office of the Dean of Students notifies the Office of the Registrar of the withdrawal. Eligibility for a rebate or refund of the total bill is determined by the date the form is received by the Office of the Registrar, NOT the date the student stops attending class.

Unless the student follows these procedures, the withdrawal is not effective and grades of “F” will be recorded for all courses not completed.

Note on short courses: Short courses are defined as courses that meet in a nontraditional or condensed pattern within a semester. These courses are often called “intensive” courses. These types of courses have special academic and financial deadlines that differ from full semester course deadlines. Short course deadlines are published on the Office of the Registrar website.

Eligibility to Return Each Session

The University will discontinue a student’s program(s) if there is no enrollment activity for three consecutive semesters. A student must reapply with the Office of Admissions if they wish to enroll in courses after their program(s) have been discontinued due to no enrollment activity. Students who are admitted to the University and do not enroll for the semester they are admitted will be discontinued for no enrollment activity. A student must update their application status or reapply if they wish to attend the University for a future semester.

Degree students should refer to the appropriate school or college section of this Catalog for information regarding eligibility to return.

Non-degree seeking (unclassified) students’ continuation is contingent upon maintaining an overall grade point average of 2.0 upon completion of 12 or more credit hours. Failure to maintain the required average will result in an unclassified student being suspended. The suspension is for an indefinite period of time and becomes part of the student’s permanent record at the University. While under suspension, enrollment at the University is restricted to summer semesters.

Unclassified students are not placed on academic probation prior to being suspended.

Auditing Courses; No Credit Courses

Nonregistered students: Individuals who wish to attend main campus courses and are not currently registered students can contact the Extended Studies Academic Outreach Office to audit courses on a space available basis. To qualify as an auditor, an individual must be 21 years of age or older. Individuals are not eligible to audit courses if they are under suspension from the University. No academic credit is earned.

Registered students: All students attending regular session classes who elect to participate in a class without receiving credit must register for the course and sign up for No Credit (NC grade). The tuition and fees for No Credit courses are the same as for courses taken for credit. In order to register for no credit, the student should complete a Credit Change Form through the Office of the Registrar indicating the course for which no credit is desired. Deadlines and rules for registering for and changing a No Credit course are the same as for Add/Drop. No Credit courses appear on the CU transcript with a grade of “NC” and no academic credit is earned. These courses are not eligible for financial aid. Also see Grading Policies and Add/Drop.

Schedule Changes

The University reserves the right to make changes to the class schedule. These include course additions, cancellations, postponement, combining sections/courses, day and time, classroom, instructor, and mode of instruction changes.

Enrollment Status

The definitions for full-time/part-time enrollment are as follows:

  1. A full-time undergraduate degree student is one who is enrolled for at least 12 credit hours each semester. Undergraduate degree students are considered part time when they are enrolled for fewer than 12 hours. These criteria also apply for unclassified students without a degree.
  2. A full-time graduate student is one who is enrolled for 5 credit hours of graduate level coursework, or at least 8 credit hours in a combination of graduate and undergraduate coursework acceptable for graduate credit, or any number of thesis/dissertation hours.
  3. Unclassified students with a degree-seeking student loan deferment must be enrolled for 12 credit hours to be considered full-time.

Classification Level

Student classification level is determined by the student career (undergraduate, graduate, graduate non-degree) and number of total earned credit hours. Total credit hours include external transfer course credit, credit earned at other University of Colorado campuses, and credits earned at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs.

  1. Undergraduate Students: Freshman 1-29 total earned credits; Sophomore 30-59 total earned credits; Junior 60-89 total earned credits; Senior 90-120+ earned credits.
  2. Graduate Students: No student level differentiation.
  3. Graduate Non-Degree: No student level differentiation.

Graduate Candidate for Degree

Master and Doctoral degree candidates who have finished all coursework may need to be enrolled in a zero-credit placeholder titled “Candidate for Degree.”  If Master or Doctoral degree candidates are not registered in any other courses, they must register for this zero-credit placeholder the semester in which they will be taking a comprehensive examination, defending a thesis, or defending a dissertation. Clinical and Professional doctoral students must be registered in either candidate for degree or another course during the semester of their capstone/project defense. Please see the Course and Program Fees webpage on Student Financial Services (Bursar) website for fees associated with this placeholder. Please refer to the Graduate School for specific policies.

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes


Phone: (719) 255-3361
Toll Free: 1-800-990-UCCS (8227)

A student is initially classified as an in-state or out-of-state registrant for tuition purposes at the time an application and all supporting credentials have been received in the Office of Admissions. The classification is based upon information furnished by the student and from other relevant sources. The requirements for establishing residency for tuition purposes are defined by the law of the State of Colorado (Chapter 23, Article 7, Colorado Revised Statutes, 1973, as amended). After the student’s status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary. Classification standards conform to state statutes and judicial decisions and are applicable to all of Colorado’s state-supported colleges and universities. The student who, due to subsequent events, becomes eligible for a change in tuition classification, whether from out-of-state to in-state or the reverse, has the responsibility of informing the Tuition Classification Officer in the Office of the Registrar after such change occurs, in writing within 15 days. If an adult student or emancipated minor establishes domicile outside of Colorado, this student must send written notification within 5 days to the Tuition Classification Officer.

Petitioning for a Residency Classification Change

Any student who is 23 years of age or older, or is an emancipated minor as defined by law, is qualified to change their domicile and their tuition classification status. Detailed instructions as to the procedure to follow and the necessary petition forms are available from the Tuition Classification Officer, Office of the Registrar. The deadline to submit a Petition for In-State Tuition is the first working day of the month of the semester for which the change is requested. 

Classification Notes

  1. Petitions will not be acted upon until an application for admission to the University and complete supporting credentials have been received.
  2. Changes in classification are made effective at the time of the student’s next registration semester.
  3. A student who willfully gives wrong information to evade payment of the out-of-state tuition is subject to legal and disciplinary action.
  4. Petitions and all required documents must be submitted no later than the following dates prior to the semester for which the change in status is sought.
    1. Fall semesters: August 1 (or first business day of August)
    2. Spring semesters: January 1 (or first business day of January) 
    3. Summer semesters: June 1 (or first business day of June)
  5. Late or incomplete petitions will not be considered until the next semester.

Waivers of Non-Resident Tuition for Special Populations

Special residency exception rules are available for the below listed populations. Contact the Tuition Classification Officer in the Office of the Registrar for details.

  • Active duty U.S./Canadian Armed Forces and their Dependents
  • Honorable/General Discharged Military
  • Colorado National Guard Members
  • Colorado Indian Tribe Membership
  • Economic Incentive recipients
  • Dependent Children of New Faculty at Colorado State Supported Colleges
  • Olympic Athletes Living and Training in Colorado
  • Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
  • Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

Records and Academic Policies


Individual Academic Records

All credentials (high school and/or college transcripts, test reports, etc.) used for admission become the property of the University of Colorado. When a student has been out of school for five years, their file is destroyed.

The official transcript showing all academic work completed at any of the University of Colorado campuses, including credit courses through Online and Academic Outreach and/or Continuing Education, will be maintained in perpetuity.


Office of the Registrar
Main Hall 108
(719) 255-3361

How Academic Work Is Recorded on Transcripts

Courses are grouped by the semester in which they were taken.

When a college or school is unique to a particular campus of the university (the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences on the UCCS campus) and the student has completed the degree requirements, the degree and field of study will be designated on the transcript as follows:

Example: Degree-BA (date) at CU Colorado Springs Sociology

For students graduating from colleges and schools represented on two or more campuses, there may be no campus designation.

         Example: Degree-BS (date) Business

Students completing a double major will be listed as follows:

Example: Degree-BA (date) at CU Colorado Springs Psychology and Sociology

College of Letters, Arts and Sciences students graduating in Distributed Studies will show all the disciplines used to meet the unique degree requirements:

Example: Degree-BA (date) at CU Colorado Springs Distributed Studies-Fine Arts, History, Communication, and English

Emphases within a major, as well as academic minors (completed at time a degree is awarded) are recorded on the transcript.

General and departmental honors are recorded on the transcript.

How to Order Transcripts

University of Colorado transcripts of student academic records can be ordered through the transcript ordering portal at www.uccs.edu/registrar. Expedited processing (secure Electronic PDF or FedEx) and easy online payment are available. Additionally, standard paper transcripts are available. Standard paper transcripts are sent via first class U.S. mail.

Currently enrolled Colorado Springs students can view/print their unofficial transcript by accessing their myUCCS portal. Unofficial transcripts are not available to former students or alumni. If you are a former student or alumnus, you will need to request an official transcript through the transcript ordering portal (www.uccs.edu/registrar). 

Transcript orders must be requested using: the online transcript ordering system, an in-person written request, or written request through U.S. mail and will be processed within 5-7 business days. The University of Colorado Colorado Springs does not accept transcript requests via fax, email, or telephone. Transcripts are prepared only at the student’s request. Copies of transcripts from other institutions cannot be furnished.

Note: Official transcripts will be withheld for students with any outstanding financial obligations to the University. Contact Student Financials for exceptions.

Please visit www.uccs.edu/registrar/transcripts or call 719-255-3361 if you need further assistance.

Course Numbering System

The word preceding the course number identifies the subject of the course. The first digit in the number indicates in a general way the class level of the course: 1000- level courses are primarily for freshmen, 2000-level courses for sophomores, 3000-level for juniors, 4000- level for seniors and 5000- and 6000-level for graduates.

Level of Courses Numbered 9000-9980:

9000-9290   Lower division, undergraduate
9300-9490   Upper division, undergraduate
9500-9590   Graduate, Level 1
9600-9790   Graduate, Level 2
9800-9980   Other

Catalog Year Policy

The Catalog that governs a student’s graduation requirements is the one in effect at the time of the student’s most recent admission into the college or school of the student’s degree program. However, additional catalog year criteria will be applied based on the criteria below.

  1. Compass Curriculum - The catalog year for the Compass Curriculum will be determined by the semester in which a student most recently matriculates to UCCS as a degree-seeking undergraduate student.
  2. College - The catalog year for the College will be determined by the semester of the student’s most recent admission or declaration of intent to seek admittance to the College in which they will be seeking a degree.
  3. Major/Minor - The catalog year for the Major/Minor will be determined by the semester of the student’s most recent declaration of a major or minor. Note that for the professional school programs, the Major and College catalog year may be the same.

Students always have the option of moving to a newer catalog year than the one in which they were initially declared. However, once a student moves to a newer catalog year, they cannot move back to an older catalog year.

Major Declaration

The University requires that students declare a major by the time they have 60 hours toward their current degree or by the start of their junior year.

Final Examination Policy

It is the policy of UCCS to adhere to the final examination schedule as published online on the Course Information Center each semester. Unless notified otherwise in writing during the first week of classes, students enrolled in undergraduate courses should assume that an examination will be given. While it may be appropriate not to give a final exam in some cases, such as laboratory courses, seminars, project-based courses, and colloquia, final assessments, as determined by the faculty member, which may include but are not limited to projects, presentations, or exams, are generally parts of the instructional program. Graduating seniors are not exempt from final examinations or other forms of final assessment.

Use of a final exam in graduate courses is optional and up to the discretion of the instructor. The form of final assessment in graduate courses should be indicated in the syllabus.

Fall and spring semesters have a final exam schedule. Summer final exams are generally taken on the last day of the course.


If the final assessment in an undergraduate course is an examination, the final examination should be given as scheduled as published online on the Course Information Center, and not at other times, even if the instructor and all students in a course were to agree to such a change. An instructor may allow individual students to take the final examination at an earlier or later time if the instructor is satisfied that an exception is based on good and sufficient reasons and if such an exception is unlikely to materially advantage or disadvantage the interests of the student and of other students in the course.

Students should consult with their instructors and course syllabi for final examination information for courses that are scheduled at non-standard times and are not included in the published final examination schedule.

Exceptions or deviations to the final examination schedule should be agreed upon by the faculty member and the chair of the department no later than the beginning of the semester in which an exception or deviation is requested. The resulting decision should be announced in writing to students in the class during the first week of classes.


In addition to the principles stated above, the following guidelines should be followed by all faculty members and administrators to assure fairness and the best possible educational experience for students.

The week of classes preceding the scheduled final examination period should be used primarily for continued instruction and may include the introduction of new material. No hourly examinations are to be given during the week preceding final examinations; however, assignments listed in the syllabus, including final assessments other than examinations, such as papers, lab practicums, presentations, portfolios, and projects may be due during that week.

When students have three or more examinations on the same day, they will be entitled to arrange an alternative examination time for the first exam scheduled on that day. Such arrangements must be made no later than the end of the 10th week of the semester (i.e., at the end of the drop period). Students will be expected to provide evidence that they have three or more examinations to qualify for exceptions.

The Provost (or designee), in consultation with the campus leadership, may cancel, or in rare cases reschedule, final examinations in response to inclement weather or other emergencies that result in a campus closure during the final examination period. The administration’s determination of whether to reschedule or to cancel final examinations is based on the number of exam periods affected by the closure and the timing of the closure.

Canceled exams: If a final examination is canceled, course grades are generally assigned based on tests, assignments and other graded work completed up to the end of the term. Faculty will notify students within 48 hours of cancellation of specific grading plans and any make-up opportunities. Faculty may offer a non-mandatory make-up examination and/or allow for an alternative assignment to be submitted after the final examination period. However, such opportunities must be made available to all students enrolled in the course, even if all students do not utilize the opportunity. All final work must be received and graded no later than the end of the first week of the subsequent term (inclusive of summer session), and faculty must then submit change of record information for students whose course grades change due to their work on make-up examinations or alternative assignments.

Rescheduled exams: In rare cases, a final examination may be rescheduled within the term dates. Students who choose to not participate in a rescheduled final examination are not guaranteed any make-up examination or alternative assignments. In such cases, students will generally be assigned course grades based on tests, assignments and other graded work completed up to the end of the term and faculty will notify students within 48 hours of cancellation of specific grading plans and any make-up opportunities.

Grading Policies

Grading System
The following grading system is standardized for all colleges and schools of the university. Instructors are responsible for determining the requirements for a class, the grading scale used, and for assigning grades based upon completion of the requirements. Each college or school individually determines the use of +/- grading.

Grade Symbols

Standard Grades Grade Points per Hour of Credit
A 4.0 - superior/excellent
A-  3.7
B+ 3.3
3.0 - good/better than average
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
2.0 - competent/average
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D- 0.7 - minimum passing
0 - failing

Other Grade Symbols

CR Credit. Excluded from GPA. 
I Incomplete; changed to F if not completed within one year.
IP In progress; for thesis, dissertation or specified graduate-level courses.
NC No credit.
P Passing; effective spring 2020, under pass/fail option, grades of D+, D or D- convert to P. Excluded from GPA. 
P+ Passing; effective spring 2020, under pass/fail option, grades of C- and above convert to P+. Excluded from GPA.
S Satisfactory (effective fall 2023; formerly pass/fail only). Excluded from GPA.
U Unsatisfactory (effective fall 2023; formerly pass/fail only). Excluded from GPA.
W Withdrew


Explanation of Incomplete Grades
Beginning spring 2009, students assigned an “I” (incomplete) grade have one academic year to complete the course and earn a grade. If the course is not completed nor repeated with a passing grade, the “I” will be converted to an “F” and recorded on the student record, without formal notification. Requests for an extension of time to complete the course beyond the one year deadline cannot be approved. Through fall 2008, grades of “IF” or “IW” were used to designate an incomplete grade. Students had one year to make up the grade before it converted to an “F” or “W”.

Students must ask for an incomplete grade. The incomplete grade is given only when students, for reasons beyond their control, have been unable to complete the course requirements. It is understood that a substantial amount of work must have been satisfactorily completed before approval for such a grade is given. If an instructor decides to grant a request for an incomplete grade, the instructor sets the conditions whereby the coursework will be completed. The coursework must be completed within a year, but the instructor may also set less time than one year for completion at their discretion. The student is expected to complete the requirements within the established deadline. The instructor, with approval of the department, determines if the course should be retaken. If the student must attend course meeting patterns to complete the work, they must reregister for the course. If a course is retaken, the student will be required to pay the applicable tuition and fees.

A final grade earned by completing the course requirements results in a course notation indicating that the course was originally graded as incomplete. If the incomplete course was successfully retaken with a passing grade within a one year period, the “I” grade will be retained on the transcript with a notation that the course was repeated and will not convert to an “F” grade.

No Credit (NC)
Current students wishing to take a course for no credit (also known as an audit) should complete a Credit Change form at the Office of the Registrar during regular registration. No credit courses are assigned a grade of ‘NC’ and no academic credit is earned. Also see Academic Policies, Course Registration and Student Records - Auditing Courses; No Credit Courses.

Pass/Fail Enrollment (P/F)
Students who wish to register for a course on a pass/fail basis must do so during regular registration.

Changes to or from a pass/fail basis for full semester length courses may be effected through census date for the semester. After this period it will not be possible to change registration unless it is approved by the dean as a specific exception. Special deadlines apply to short courses.

Only two (2) courses or a maximum of six (6) hours of coursework may be taken as pass/fail basis during the fall and spring semesters. Only three (3) hours may be taken during the summer semester.

Students should refer to the rules of their particular school, college, graduate program and/or department for additional information regarding the guidelines and limitations of pass/fail registration.

The record of pass/fail registration is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Academic deans and faculty will not be aware of specific pass/fail registrations. All students who are registered on a pass/fail basis appear on the regular class roster and a normal letter grade is assigned on the final grade roster by the professor. Once grades are posted in the student information system, the pass/fail designated classes are converted. Grades of C- or higher convert to a grade of P+, grades of D+, D, or D- convert to a grade of P, grades of F remain.

Classes that were graded on a pass/fail only basis are not eligible to be taken for letter grades, and do not include the P+ grade. Pass/fail-only grading was replaced with satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading beginning fall 2023.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)
As of fall 2023, the satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading basis is assigned to courses that are predominately experiential, field-based, and practical in nature, as well as candidacy for degree. These courses were previously graded on a pass/fail only basis.

Satisfactory ‘S’ grades are included in credit totals but are not calculated into the GPA. Unsatisfactory ‘U’ grades are neither included in the credit totals nor GPA calculations. ‘S’ and ‘U’ grades are assigned by instructors based upon whether course requirements have been satisfied or expectations met.

Grade Forgiveness
As of fall 2021, undergraduate degree seeking students are eligible to request grade forgiveness for a limited number of courses with grades of C- or below after repeating the same course at UCCS. The original course must have been taken in fall 2021 or later. Both courses will display on the official student record with only the most recent course grade being included in the transcript GPA. Grade forgiveness requests must be submitted prior to census date of the semester in which the replacement course is being taken. Course forgiveness eligibility, considerations, and request form are available on the Office of the Registrar Grade Forgiveness webpage.

Computing a Grade Point Average (GPA)
The grade point average is computed by multiplying the credit points per hour, (A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, B-=2.7, C+=2.3, C=2.0, C-=1.7, D+=1.3, D=1.0, D-=0.7, F=0) by the number of hours for each course, totaling the hours and the credit points, and dividing the latter by the former.

For example:

ENGL 1310 3 B 9.0 credit points
PSY 2100 4 C+ 9.2 credit points
HIST 1010 3 B 9.0 credit points
CHEM 1030 5 A 20.0 credit points
  15 hours   47.2 credit points

The grade point average is therefore 47.2 divided by 15, i.e., 3.147.

The grade point received at another institution will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average at the University of Colorado. However, all University of Colorado coursework will factor into the cumulative CU GPA regardless of the campus at which the course was taken.

Grades of H, I, IP, NC, P, P+, S, U, W, and Y (IW and IF prior to spring 2009) are not included in the grade point average. “I”s that are not completed within one year are calculated as “F” in the GPA at the end of the one-year grace period.

It is University of Colorado policy that the undergraduate GPA, the graduate non-degree (unclassified) GPA, and the graduate degree GPA are calculated separately as academic careers.

When a student takes a credit course more than once, all final course grades are used in determining the grade point average. However, if a student has passed the same course more than one time, the University will count that course only once when calculating the student’s credit hours earned towards graduation. The only exception to this rule will be in cases where a course is designated in this Catalog as “may be repeated for credit.”

Students should refer to their academic dean’s office for individual grade point average calculations as they relate to academic progress and graduation from their college or school.

Final grades are available on the myUCCS Portal at www.uccs.edu according to the grade posting date.

Course Challenge Options

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) provides undergraduate students the opportunity to earn credit for GT Pathways content areas or other degree requirements. A listing of CLEP exam titles, score requirements, UCCS course equivalencies, and GT Pathways categories are available on the Transfer website at https://www.uccs.edu/transfer/student-information/test-scores. Contact your academic advisor for additional information and course challenge policies.

Course Challenge Exams provide undergraduate students whose academic content knowledge for a specific course is sufficiently high the opportunity to pass a challenging subject matter examination to earn credit. Students who are interested in taking a course challenge exam should contact the college or department to determine if there is a challenge exam available. Contact your academic advisor for additional information and course challenge policies. 

Writing Competency Requirement for Graduation

No student will be awarded a bachelor’s degree (BA or BS or BI) unless they can demonstrate competency in writing. Students may demonstrate such competency in either of the following ways:

  1. By passing their first core writing course (ENGL 1300+1305, ENGL 1308 or ENGL 1310) and fulfilling the second core writing course requirements stipulated by their degree program, and then a) passing the writing portfolio assessment after the completion of their second core writing course and 60 credit hours of coursework or b) successfully passing ENGL 3010 or TCID 3080. The second core writing courses for each degree plan are listed below:

           a. For LAS, Public Affairs, Education, and most Nursing and Health Science students: ENGL 1410 (Nursing and Health Science students should check with their degree plans or speak with an academic advisor for specific information about their major)
           b. For BUS students: TCID 2080 
           c. For ENGR students: TCID 2090 
           d. For students in the Bachelors of Innovation: INOV 2100   

2. Completing their UCCS writing requirements through the transfer of equivalent written communication courses (with a C- or better), and upon transferring these courses to UCCS, either a) passing the writing portfolio assessment or b) successfully passing ENGL 3010 or TCID 3080.

Details about the writing portfolio assessment are available at https://compasscurriculum.uccs.edu/curriculum/writing-portfolio.

Applying for Graduation (Online Diploma Card)

Undergraduate students: No fewer than 90 days prior to the date of commencement, students are required to apply for graduation through the myUCCS Portal. Undergraduate students who have earned 90 credit hours should meet with their academic advisor and complete a senior audit prior to applying for graduation.

Graduate students:  Graduate students who are within two semesters of completing their graduate program should meet with their program director prior to applying for graduation. Visit the Graduate School’s graduation page here: (https://graduateschool.uccs.edu/current-students/graduating-this-semester)

Commencement Policy

Participation in academic ceremonies that recognize or honor students for the completion of an academic program or specific academic accomplishment is based on the understanding that all requirements have been completed. Every effort will be made to determine eligibility in advance and only students who have met requirements will be permitted to participate.

Commencement exercises for graduates of the summer and fall semesters are held in December. Spring semester commencement is held in May. Graduates will receive diplomas approximately eight weeks after the end of the semester in which the degree is conferred.

For information regarding commencement ceremony dates, ceremony FAQs, and the UCCS Graduation Celebration Hub, please visit: https://commencement.uccs.edu.


Diplomas will carry the designation of the campus where the majority of the academic work was done at the upper division level.

General and departmental honors are shown on the diploma. The discipline is indicated in award of departmental honors.

The Bachelor of Science, Arts or Innovation (BS, BA or BI) or Bachelor of Social Work will indicate the field of study, such as business, chemistry, electrical engineering, or physics. Diplomas do not display emphases within the field of study. Official transcript will display the emphasis within the field of study or program completed.

In the Graduate School, the degree designations are Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Sciences, Master of Science in Nursing, Master of Engineering, Master of Public Administration, Master of Criminal Justice, Master of Social Work, Master of Business Administration, Doctorate of Philosophy, Doctorate of Nursing Practice and Executive Doctorate of Business Administration. Transcripts will indicate specific program where appropriate. Specialty areas are not listed on the diploma.

Note: For all diplomas, emphases within a major, as well as academic minors (completed at time a degree is awarded) are not printed on the diploma.