English majors have long contributed successfully to cultural, political, educational, business, and community leadership. You will start by doing what you love: reading, writing, analyzing, and discussing what you’ve read and written. What happens because of these activities is crucial to long-term professional success. The insights you develop from these activities contribute to clear and audience-aware communication; critical thinking for problem-solving; innovative and creative ideas and insights; empathy that contributes to inclusiveness; resourceful research abilities; and insight into cultural and historical contexts.
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English requires the following:
- A minimum of 42 credit hours of ENGL course work, depending on the chosen option. At least 18 of those hours must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 or higher). The Education options require 33-36 credit hours of English courses.
- A grade of C- or better in courses applied to the major.
- A minimum 2.0 GPA must be maintained in all ENGL course work.
- No more than 60 credit hours of ENGL course work may apply to the bachelor’s degree.
- Submission of a Senior Assessment during the final semester of the senior year.
- Attendance at a mandatory English department workshop during the first year at UCCS. See the English department website for details.
Additional course work is required to complete the English, BA degree. Please see the advising guide on the Academic Advising website for more information.
English Major Options
One of the following options, or emphases, must be chosen in order to complete a major in English. Options may have different course, grade, GPA, or hour requirements. See below for more information.
- Rhetoric and Writing
- English Studies Online
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
To graduate with departmental honors in English, a student must have a 3.75 GPA in the major, and a 3.5 GPA overall.