Nov 29, 2022
- Be able to demonstrate critical thinking, write in a clear, logical manner, and clearly express sociological knowledge in verbal communication.
- Be able to show broad knowledge about global and local societies, social behavior and provide credible explanations of how and why social development has taken a particular direction.
- Be able to understand, analyze and assess social experience, both theoretically and practically.
- Be able to collect, analyze and interpret sociological data effectively.
- Be able to understand social phenomena of deviance, globalization, social change, multiculturalism, structural inequality, and the intersections of race, class, gender and other forms of stratification.
- Be able to apply sociological knowledge in professional and community settings and be adequately prepared for graduate study.
- A minimum of 36 credit hours in Sociology, at least 18 hours of which must be upper-division courses (3000 or 4000 level). Students must complete these courses with a C or better. Courses at the 5000-level may be taken by qualified undergraduates with the consent of the instructor.
- The Summit Experience is designed for senior-level students who have successfully completed SOC 1110, 2120, 3150, and 3170. This is a requirement for all Sociology majors who declare after fall 2011.
- Complete the Sociology Senior Exit Exam during the final semester of coursework. The Senior Exit Exam is administered online via Canvas.
Online Degree Completion or Online BA
Sociology offers the option of online bachelor’s degree completion and completing the entire bachelor’s degree online. If students have either completed 60 credit hours at UCCS, or transferred in with an Associate’s degree, they are eligible to complete their sociology BA completely online. All students have the option to complete the degree through a combination of online and evening/weekend courses. All required Sociology courses are offered online at least once during the calendar year; most are offered every semester, including summer. A range of elective courses, substantive courses, and Summit-flagged courses are available online each semester, including summer. The honors option for the Summit Experience (SOC 4980/4990) is also available to online students.
Please visit http://www.uccs.edu/soc/online.html or Dr. Edwardo Portillos at email@example.com for more information.
Sociology Required Courses
Complete all of the following courses.
Note: SOC 3150 and SOC 3170 should be completed prior to the senior year, and must be taken at UCCS.
Complete three courses from the following list.
Complete either the Honors or Standard Track Summit Experience.
Students completing the honors track will receive departmental honors upon successful completion and graduation. Complete both courses below.
Students must enroll in one of the primary courses listed below. In addition, students must request a permission number from the instructor or sociology program assistant for SOC 4785-The Sociology Capstone, a one-credit add-on special topics course
- Complete 9 additional hours of Sociology courses to fulfill total and upper-division hour requirements for the major.
Note: Students who double count a Substantive course with their Summit Experience course will need to take an additional 3 hours of SOC electives.
Sociology Exit Exam
- Complete the Sociology Exit Exam during the final semester of course work.