Sep 27, 2022
The Sociology department and WEST program offer a double major for students interested in majoring in both degrees. Double majors are allowed to:
- Double-count 6 credit hours of any courses cross-listed in both Sociology and WEST.
- Choose a WEST or SOC Summit Experience.
- 30 credit hours in Sociology and 30 credit hours in WEST. 18 credit hours of upper-division (3000+ level) courses must be taken from each department.
- Complete the Summit Experience.
- All courses in SOC and WEST must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Credit hours will total 54-55, depending on Summit Experience selection.
Complete all of the following courses.
Note: SOC 3150 and SOC 3170 should be completed prior to the senior year, and must be taken at UCCS.
Complete three courses from the following list.
Sociology Exit Exam
Complete the Sociology Exit Exam during the final semester of course work.
Women’s and Ethnic Studies Courses
Complete both of the following courses:
Upper-Division WEST Electives
Complete 6 additional hours of unused upper-division (3000+ level) Women’s and Ethnic Studies electives.
Double Major Summit Experience Options
Complete either the Sociology or WEST Summit Experience options.
Sociology Summit Experience
Complete each of the following:
- 3 credit hours of SOC/WEST crosslisted, upper-division (3000+ level) electives.
- 3 credit hours WEST upper-division (3000+ level) electives.
- One of the Capstone tracks (below).
- The Sociology Exit Exam
Complete either the Honors or Standard Track Summit Experience.
Students completing the honors track will receive departmental honors upon successful completion and graduation. Complete both courses below.
Complete one SOC course with a Compass Curriculum Summit flag. Courses on the Substantive list that have a Summit flag may double count. Options include the following courses. Additional options may be available in any given semester. Contact the Sociology department chair for more information.
WEST Summit Experience
Complete all of the following requirements: