2008-2009 Catalog 
    Aug 15, 2022  
2008-2009 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information

Click on any of the following links for information:


The University System


The University of Colorado system is composed of three campuses—Boulder, Colorado Springs, and the Denver and Health Sciences Center campuses—altogether having a combined enrollment of more than 52,000 students. To meet the needs of its students, the university offers an extensive number of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs, as well as opportunities to study abroad, engage in public service, and conduct research.

The University of Colorado is governed by an elected nine-member Board of Regents, which is charged by the state constitution with the general supervision of the university and the exclusive control and direction of all its funds and appropriations, unless otherwise provided by law. The board conducts its business at regular meetings open to the public and through committees. The university president is the chief administrative officer of the three-campus system and is responsible for providing leadership to the university. Each campus is administered by its own chancellor and executive staff.

The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs


1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway
P. O. Box 7150
Colorado Springs, CO 80933-7150
(719) 262-3000 or 1 (800) 990-UCCS (8227)


The Colorado Springs campus of the University of Colorado shall be a comprehensive baccalaureate university with selective admission standards. The Colorado Springs campus shall offer liberal arts and sciences, business, engineering, health sciences, and teacher preparation undergraduate degree programs, and a selected number of masters and doctoral degree programs.

Vision Statement

UCCS will provide unsurpassed, student-centered teaching and learning, and outstanding research and creative work that serve our community, state, and nation, and result in our recognition as the premier comprehensive, regional research university in the United States.

Core Values

The UCCS community subscribes to these core values:

Excellence: We will attract, develop and retain outstanding faculty, staff, and students, and focus on those programs and services that we can offer at an exemplary level.

Student Success: We will help traditional and nontraditional students succeed in their academic endeavors by assuring a stimulating, supportive, and safe environment in a naturally beautiful setting. We will encourage students to recognize their responsibility to participate fully in their own educational success and to contribute to the quality of all aspects of campus life.

Community Interactions: We will make known our vision, values, and goals and provide a demonstrated return on investment to the citizens of Colorado. We will link the university more closely to the communities we serve. We will communicate the value of the university to the citizens and elected leaders of our state, alumni, and potential students everywhere.

Enriching Environments: We will aggressively seek the development of a multicultural campus environment in which each person contributes unique talents to make the university a better place. In turn, each person will be fully valued and supported. We will reaffirm the tradition of shared governance and encourage all members of our campus community to join together in creating a positive working environment where all enjoy respect, fair treatment, and a voice in campus decisions.

Quality Teaching: We will promote and reward teaching excellence. We will strive to maintain predominantly small classes taught by dedicated and accessible faculty.

Research and Creative Work: We will promote and reward research and creative work that advances knowledge, that makes a valuable contribution, that enhances our teaching and service missions, and that encourages collaboration between students, both graduate and undergraduate, and faculty.

Service: We will attract and reward members of the campus community who place a high value on service and who are committed to contributing their expertise to the university and the public good.

Staff Contributions: We will value the vital role that staff play in supporting and enhancing the mission of the university.

Innovation and Change: We believe that universities both preserve the past and help create the future. We will encourage innovation in teaching, research, and service and prepare our students to succeed in a rapidly changing global and technologically advancing environment.

Lifelong Learning: We will commit to serving the educational needs of members of our community at many points along life’s path—as K-12 students, as university students, as they enter the work force, as they retrain for new careers, and as they continue to learn and grow throughout their lives.

Diversity and Inclusiveness

The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs is charged with providing opportunities for higher education to the general public and with offering the fruits of knowledge, research and cultural development for the betterment of the broader public good. To truly serve the public, the university must be inclusive of everyone, regardless of ethnicity, race, gender, age, social class, gender identity and expression, abilities, religious values, political viewpoints, national origin, or military status—to name some of the social and cultural differences that can create barriers. Historically, certain social groups have been excluded and marginalized within public higher education, creating legacies of advantage and disadvantage. The principle of diversity advocates a university that is inclusive of all while overcoming the legacies of exclusion.

Promoting diversity and inclusion corrects shortcomings in the university’s service to the public, but also contributes very directly to the quality of learning for all that participate in university education. To put it simply, diversity does not just benefit groups that have historically been left out: diversity contributes excellence to the education of all UCCS students. To realize this potential requires more than reflecting diversity within the composition of our student body, staff, and faculty. The challenge is for members of the university community to engage fully across social and cultural differences, and to integrate lessons from distinct cultural perspectives into their development of knowledge, skills, and character.

Acquiring the cultural competence to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds requires an informed understanding of others and, perhaps most critically, an informed understanding of one’s own social and cultural origins as a point of departure. A UCCS education must therefore be a journey of self-discovery, even while imparting training in scholarly traditions and methods of knowledge acquisition. Diversity within the student body, faculty, and staff is a resource in this regard, but should be reinforced with conscious and reflective efforts to engender multicultural knowledge and understanding.

Making UCCS more inclusive depends in critical ways on the relationships that are fostered and sustained outside the university. The connection with recruiting and retaining diverse students, staff members and faculty is quite apparent, but such “pipelines” will not be established unless the university is actively engaged with diverse communities. Community engagement increases our value as public university: as a trusted resource, as an ally, as an engine of economic development and as an international partner. Such broad support is fundamental in the very competitive and challenging context of public higher education.

UCCS CORE Educational Goals

The purpose of general education is to cultivate students’ intellectual, personal and ethical development and thus equip them to be lifelong learners, able to adapt to an ever-changing environment. UCCS has adopted the following campus goals for undergraduate general education:

Specifically, students will:

  •  Be able to read, write, listen and speak in a manner that demonstrates critical, analytical, and creative thought.
  • Achieve a depth of understanding in their majors and a breadth of experience in other fields.
  • Understand and apply the tools and methodologies used to obtain knowledge.
  • Be prepared to participate as responsible members of a pluralistic society—locally, nationally, and globally.

 Colorado Student Bill of Rights

The Colorado General Assembly implemented the Student Bill of Rights (C.R.S. 23-1-125) to assure that students enrolled in public institutions of higher education have the following rights:

  •  A quality general education experience that develops competencies in reading,writing,mathematics, technology, and critical thinking through an integrated arts and science experience.
  • Students should be able to complete their associate of arts and associate of science degree programs in no more than 60 credit hours or their baccalaureate programs in no more than 120 credit hours unless there are additional degree requirements recognized by the Commission;
  • A student can sign a two-year or four-year graduation agreement that formalizes a plan for that student to obtain a degree in two or four years, unless there are additional degree requirements recognized by the Commission;
  • Students have a right to clear and concise information concerning which courses must be completed successfully to complete their degrees;
  • Students have a right to know which courses are transferable among the state public two-year and four-year institutions of higher education;
  • Students, upon completion of core general education courses, regardless of the delivery method, should have those courses satisfy the core course requirements of all Colorado public institutions of higher education;
  • Students have a right to know if courses from one or more public higher education institutions satisfy the students’ degree requirements;
  • A student’s credit for the completion of the core requirements and core courses shall not expire for ten years from the date of initial enrollment and shall be transferable.

University Assessment of Student Learning Student Achievement Assessment Committee

Columbine Hall 203d
(719) 262-4186

Institutional Assessment

The Student Achievement Assessment Committee, composed of faculty, staff, and student members, oversees the implementation and advancement of assessment of student achievement and student learning at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. Campus-wide assessment of undergraduate general education is conducted annually, and each major and stand alone minor creates and implements a unique assessment plan and reports progress annually.

UCCS students are a valuable source of information for helping to determine whether educational programs are meeting stated goals. Through the use of surveys, tests, and other instruments, information is gathered that assists in making improvements to curriculum and teaching that, in turn, can lead to increases in learning by students. Since these efforts are critical to achieving the university’s goals, students may be required to participate in the assessment program.

UCCS reports results from various surveys and assessments to the Colorado Commission on Higher Education, our accrediting agency The Higher Learning Commission of North Central Association, as well as other state and public constituents. UCCS faculty and staff also use assessment results to evaluate and improve the quality of general education,major, and distance education programs.

Information collected in assessment processes is kept strictly confidential. Information shared with governmental and accreditation agencies is aggregated and individual student identities are not revealed.

The following is a summary of what might be expected:

Freshman Year:

  • Entering Student Survey
  • National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE)

Sophomore/Junior Years:

  • ETS—Measure of Academic Proficiency and Progress (general education test)

Senior Year:

  • Graduating Seniors Survey
  • ETS—Measure of Academic Proficiency and Progress
  • National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE)

Note that in addition to these institution-wide assessments, some departments have assessment requirements where students may be asked to take a standardized test, exit survey, or other form of assessment.

Student Learning Outcomes/Objectives

Each major and stand-alone minor has an assessment plan in place and reports progress annually. These outcomes/ objectives are detailed in this Bulletin with the individual study programs, and on the assessment Web site; they come directly from the most recent progress reports on file at the time of the Bulletin publication date.

The UCCS Campus

The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs is located on approximately 521 acres in northeast Colorado Springs, at the foot of Austin Bluffs, a rugged natural cliff formation. The campus provides a spectacular view of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, including Pikes Peak, a 14,100- foot mountain that inspired Katharine Lee Bates to write “America the Beautiful” from its pinnacle in 1893.

Established in 1965, UCCS was built on an original 1964 gift of 80 acres (for the price of $1) from local businessman George T. Dwire. The campus structure continues to expand with the recent additions of a Recreation Center and a new Science and Engineering Building, and renovations to Dwire Hall, the Heller Center for the Humanities, Cancer Survivor’s Park, and Mountain Lion Stadium. A 1,500 seat field house will open in 2008.

In the Fall 2007 semester,more than 7,500 students enrolled in state supported instruction and more than 1,100 students participated in extended studies. Fifty-eight percent of students are female; 18%identify as ethnic minority students. Approximately 94% of UCCS students originate from Colorado; however, students from all 50 states and 55 countries are represented. More than 300 active military personnel and 30 U.S. Olympic athletes pursue higher learning at UCCS. About 81% of students are enrolled in undergraduate programs and 19% are pursuing graduate study, with the assistance of approximately 800 faculty and staff. The current funds budget for fiscal year 2008 is approximately $107million. Campus expenditures yield approximately $203million to the local economy each year through construction, employee and student spending, travel and operating expenses.


Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission;Member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

UCCS Degree Programs


UCCS is home to the following colleges and schools: College of Business; College of Education; College of Engineering and Applied Sciences; School of Public Affairs; College of Letters, Arts and Sciences; Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences; and the Graduate School.

UCCS offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in 25 majors.

UCCS offers the following Master’s degrees:Master of Science,Master of Sciences,Master of Engineering,Master of Arts,Master of Science Nursing,Master of Health Care Sciences,Master of Business Administration, and Master of Public Administration; the Master of Criminal Justice (MCJ) classes are offered at UCCS and the degree is awarded through University of Colorado, Denver and Health Sciences Center.

UCCS offers four PhDs: Education Leadership, Engineering, Nursing, and Geropsychology. Please see Degree Programs table for detailed information.

Cross-Disciplinary Degree Programs: A new Bachelor of Innovation (BI) degree is offered at UCCS. Like a Bachelor of Science (BS) or a Bachelor of Arts (BA), the BI has a major field of study, but it also has a common core in innovation and entrepreneurship, including a unique long-term,multidisciplinary team experience. The innovative BI degree program draws on courses across colleges. Within the BI program, students can major in Business Administration, Computer Science, Computer Science-Security, Electrical Engineering, or Game Design and Development.

Information on the Bachelors of Innovation is detailed in the College of Business and the College of Engineering and Applied Science sections in this Bulletin.

Teacher Education Program: Professional Licensure may be included as a part of a four-year degree program in the College of Letters,Arts and Sciences, or may be pursued after a Bachelor of Arts has been earned in a liberal arts program. Professional Licensure through the Alternative Licensure Program may be pursued after a Bachelor of Arts degree has been earned.

Pre-professional Programs: programs in Pre-DentalHygiene, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Education, Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, Pre- Nursing, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Physician Assistant, and Pre-Veterinary may be completed at UCCS. (Not a major, these are a group of courses meeting specified professional school requirements; by themselves, these do not meet degree requirements.)

Through the UCCS College of Engineering and Applied Science, students may complete two years of work toward the following degrees: Architectural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Engineering Physics.

Information on all these degree programs and other minors, certification, licensure, and pre-professional programs is detailed within each college section in this Bulletin.

Degree Programs by College


B – Bachelor’s Degree L – Licensure
D – Doctoral M – Master’s Degree
Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences      
Health Care Sciences B M  
Nursing B M D
College of Business and Administration      
Business B    
Business Administration   M  
College of Education      
Counseling and Human Services   M  
Curriculum and Instruction   M  
Education L    
Educational Leadership     D
Special Education   M  
College of Engineering and Applied Science      
Computer Engineering B    
Computer Science B M  
Electrical Engineering B M  
Engineering   M D
Mechanical Engineering B M  
Software Engineering   M  
College of Letters, Arts and Science      
Anthropology B    
Applied Geography   M  
Applied Mathematics   M  
Biology B M  
Chemistry B M  
Communication B M  
Distributed Studies B    
Economics B    
English B    
Exercise Science   M  
Geography and Environmental Studies B    
History B M  
Mathematics B M  
Philosophy B    
Physics B M  
Political Science B    
Psychology B M D
Sociology B M  
Spanish B    
Visual and Performing Arts B    
Graduate School of Public Affairs      
Criminal Justice B M  
Public Administration   M  




Admissions and Records
Main Hall, room108
Admissions: (719) 262-3383
or 1-800-990-UCCS (8227) ext 3383
Certifications: (719) 262-3387, Fax (719) 262-3116
Records and Registration Information: (719) 262-3361
Transcripts: (719) 262-3376
Tuition Classification: (719) 262-3381 or (719) 262-3385
E-mail: admrec@uccs.edu

The Admissions Office provides services in undergraduate recruitment, admissions advising, foreign student admission, application processing, transfer credit evaluation, and residency tuition classification.

For admission requirements to the Graduate School, see the Graduate School section and individual college and school sections of this Bulletin or visit web.uccs.edu/gradschl.

The Records Office handles matters pertaining to the demographic and academic student record. It provides information on these processes: address changes, grades, grade changes, drops, adds, withdrawals, changes to pass/fail grading, credit changes, stops, releases, registrations, Privacy Act requests, requests for transcripts, course description requests, and concurrent registrations with other university campuses.

Admission Standards for Undergraduate Students

The University of Colorado seeks to identify undergraduate applicants having a high probability of successful completion of their academic program. Admission is based on evaluation of many criteria; among the most important are the following:

  • General level of academic performance before admission to the university, as indicated by the evaluation of work taken at other educational institutions.
  • Evidence of scholarly ability and accomplishment, as indicated by scores on accepted tests of scholastic aptitude and achievement.
  • Motivation and potential for academic growth and ability to work in an academic community, as indicated by trends in the student’s record, by letters of recommendation from teachers and others qualified to comment on the student, by accomplishments outside academic work, and by other relevant evidence.
  • A student who is granted admission or read mission must reflect, in amoral and ethical sense, a personal background acceptable to the university. The University of Colorado reserves the right to deny admission to applicants whose total credentials reflect an inability to assume the obligations of performance and behavior deemed essential and relevant to any of its lawful missions, processes, and functions as an educational institution.

Admission to UCCS does not guarantee eligibility for future intra-university transfer.


How to Apply

  1. Obtain an application form from the Office of Admissions and Records in person, by phone, by mail, or online. The mailing address is at the front of this Bulletin. The telephone number is (719) 262-3383 or 1-800-990-UCCS (8227). Or apply on the Web at www.uccs.edu.
  2. Follow the instructions for completing the form and ensure that all required documents are delivered by the deadline dates published in the Bulletin, the UCCS Schedule of Courses, or on the Web.


To be considered for admission, applicants must submit complete and official credentials as required by the desired program of study. An “official credential” is one received directly from the issuing institution via a third party common carrier. Students may not disregard any part of their previous educational background. Failure to submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended will be cause for canceling the admission process or dismissing the student. All credentials presented for admission to UCCS become the property of the university and may not be returned to the applicant.


As soon as possible after the Office of Admissions and Records receives all required credentials, students will be notified of their admission status. If qualified, the student will receive notification of eligibility for admission. Admission eligibility to the University of Colorado does not constitute a guarantee of enrollment in any specific course.

Undergraduate Freshman Admission

1-800-990-UCCS(8227) ext. 3383 or (719) 262-3383 Freshmen may apply to the Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences; the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences; the College of Education; the College of Business and Administration; and the College of Engineering and Applied Science in the fall, spring, or summer terms. The programs at UCCS provide all the course work required for entrance into the CU Schools of Dentistry, Education, Graduate, Graduate School of Public Affairs, Journalism, Law,Medicine, and Pharmacy, which require one or more years of college-level work before a student may be considered for admission. Students may complete teacher certification requirements on this campus.

Freshman Admissions Criteria

  1. Priority for admission to the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is given to applicants who (a) rank in the upper 40% of their high school graduating class at the end of the 6th, 7th, or final semester; (b) achieve a combined Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score of 1,080 or above, or a composite American College Test (ACT) score of 24 or above; (c) have a GPA of 2.8 or above; and (d) complete all high school course units as required by the college to which they have applied. Increased requirements for admission to the colleges of Business and Administration, Engineering and Applied Science, and Nursing and Health Sciences are described in their respective sections of this Bulletin. Applicants who do not meet all of these requirements should refer to number 2 below.
  2. Applicants for freshman admission whose records vary in any way from the above priority admissions category will be considered on an individual basis by evaluation of their overall academic records including (a) the quality of their high school program of study; (b) the level of their college entrance test scores (SAT or ACT); and (c) any information unique to an individual situation. In addition, all applicants whose records reflect innovative grading systems, unusual curricula, no rank in class, or a high school equivalency through the General Education Development (GED) test, will be considered in this category. Students in this category admitted to the university may not exceed 20% of the total admitted pool.

Freshman Admissions Chart


ACT SAT 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 4.0
18 840-870                                          
19 880-920                                          
20 930-960                                          
21 970-1000                                          
22 1010-1040                                          
23 1050-1070                                          
24 1080-1110                                          
25 1120-1150                                          
26 1160-1190                                          
27 1200-1230                                          
28 1240-1270                                          
29 1280-1300                                          
30 1320-1340                                          
31 1350-1390                                          
32 1400-1430                                          
33 1440-1430                                          
34 1440-1480                                          
35 1500-1590                                          
36 1600                                          
  Weak Candidate   Possible Candidate   Strong Candidate

 Assured Admission Criteria

(Includes Minimum Academic Preparation Standards – MAPS)


College Business& Administration Engineering & Applied Science** Letters, Arts & Sciences Nursing & Health and Public Affairs Beth-El College of Nursing & Health Sciences***
Class Rank Top 30% Top 30% Top 40% Top 30%
ACT OR SAT 24 Composite 25 Composite 24 Composite 24 Composite
School Code: 22 Math; 1120 Verbal + Math 1080 Verbal + Math 1080 Verbal + Math
ACT: 0535, 24 English      
SAT: 4874 1080 Verbal + Math      
Course Units (One unit is study in the same subject area for one year)
English 4 Including at least 2 yrs. of composition 4 Including at least 2 yrs. of composition 4 Including at least 2 yrs. of composition 4 Including at least 2 yrs. of composition
Math 3 4 3 3
  College Prep At least 2 yrs. of Algebra, 1 yr. Geometry & 1 yr. Advanced Math College Prep College Prep
Natural Science 3 3 3 3
  2 yrs. Lab Science 1 yr. Physics & 1 yr. Chemistry 2 yrs. Lab Science 1 yr. Chemistry
        1 yr. Biology
        1 yr. other Science
Social Science 2 2 2 2
    Government, History, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, etc. Government, History, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, etc.  
Foreign Language 2 2 2 2
  All units in single foreign language All units in single foreign language All units in single foreign language All units in single foreign language
Academic Electives 1 1 1 1
Total 15 16 15 15

** Students not meeting criteria for assured admission will be considered for admission based on a combination of class rank, test scores, and high school units. An Engineering Preparatory Program is available for students having deficiencies in their math/science backgrounds. Higher standards apply for EAS majors.
*** Acceptance to Nursing is highly competitive. Preference is given to those who meet these criteria; however, not all qualified applicants can be accepted.

CU-Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS)

Freshmen and transfers entering the University of Colorado who have graduated from high school in 1988 or later will be required to meet Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS). The individual college’s requirements are listed in the chart on the accompanying page. Students should be careful to note the different requirements in particular colleges and plan their academic preparation accordingly. Students may be admitted even though they have not met all the MAPS requirements. If that is the case, they are required to make up any deficiencies once enrolled. All MAPS deficiencies must be completed prior to graduation from UCCS. Please see MAPS table above for detailed information.

Higher Education Admissions Requirement

Spring 2008 high school graduates are required to also meet the Phase I Higher Education Admissions Requirements (HEAR) as established by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education. Spring 2010 high school graduates are required to also meet the Phase II HEAR requirements. Generally, applicants who meet the CU-MAPS requirements will also satisfy the Statewide HEAR requirements for admission. These standards apply to all in-state and out-of-state new freshman applicants.

Options for Those Not Meeting MAPS or HEAR Requirements as Entering Freshmen

What if my high school doesn’t offer all the courses I need to meet the MAPS?

An admission decision involves many factors, including consideration of the extent to which this curriculum has been available. Students with deficiencies may be admitted to the university provided they meet the other admission standards (e.g. test scores, rank in high school class, and grade point average) and provided they make up the MAPS deficiencies prior to graduation from the university.

How will my deficiencies be dealt with while enrolled in the university?

Freshmen or transfer students who are admitted but who are deficient in MAPS will be required to make up the deficiency in accordance with the following policy:

  1. Students who are deficient one unit in one or more areas may:
    1. Make up that deficiency by taking a course that is normally counted as degree credit and have that course count as part of their undergraduate total hours, assuming that all prerequisites are fulfilled. (For example, students could enroll in ID 105, successfully complete the course, eliminate their one-unit deficiency in mathematics, and earn three credits toward the 120 hours required for graduation.)
    2. Take a proficiency test (if one is available): A score of 280-286 on the foreign language proficiency test eliminates one unit of deficiency and permits students to enroll in the second semester of that language. A score of 336-341 (or above) on the test eliminates all units of MAPS deficiencies for foreign language. (Note: According to MAPS, students must be proficient in foreign language up through the second semester of college level). A score of 19 on the ACT-English or 450 SAT-English eliminates a one-unit deficiency in English and entitles students to enroll in English 131. A score of 60 on the Reasoning Skills Exam also eliminates one unit of deficiency in mathematics.
    3. Utilize appropriate Advanced Placement and CLEP scores to eliminate the deficiency.
    4. Eliminate a single-unit deficiency in English by successfully completing English 099 (formerly English 121); and in mathematics by successfully completing MATH 090, Fundamentals of Algebra. These courses are offered through Extended Studies; while they do eliminate one unit of deficiency, they DO NOT count toward the total number of hours needed to graduate.
    5. Take appropriate courses at community colleges or other colleges to eliminate a unit of deficiency. Students should be aware of courses which will and will not transfer to the University of Colorado.
  2. Students who are deficient two or more units may:
    1. Remove any single unit of deficiency by any of the methods in 1, above.
    2. Remove two units by various combinations of the methods in 1, above.

Advanced Placement Program

The university participates in the high school advanced placement program of the College Board. Official scores must be sent to the university directly from the College Board. Students receiving scores of 3, 4, or 5 on advanced placement examinations are generally granted college credit. Please see chart on page 8 for detailed information.

Applicants Without Approved High School Graduation

An applicant who has not graduated from high school must submit satisfactory scores on the General Educational Development Test (GED), a Certificate of Equivalency from any state department of education, a complete transcript of any high school work completed, and SAT or ACT entrance examination scores. Each applicant will be considered on an individual basis.

Students Not Granted Admission

An applicant who is not granted admission as an entering freshman may wish to consider a transfer to the university after one or two years of study elsewhere (see transfer requirements section). In the best interest of students pursuing educational goals for which they lack some academic preparation, the university Committee on Admissions often recommends that such applicants complete at least one full year of college level course work at a regionally accredited college. The personal attention and the appropriate courses there will prepare the student for an eventual successful experience at the University of Colorado.

High School Concurrent Enrollment

High school juniors and seniors with proven academic abilities may be admitted for one term at a time with special approval from the admissions committee. Credit for courses taken may subsequently be applied toward a university degree program. For more information and application instructions, contact the Office of Admissions and Records.

Undergraduate Transfer Student Admission

1-800-990-UCCS (8227)
(719) 262-3383

To be considered for admission, transfer students must be eligible to return to all collegiate institutions attended; they may not disregard any part of a previous collegiate record. Failure to advise the university of all institutions previously attended may be sufficient cause for rejection or dismissal.

Transcripts must be sent directly to the University of Colorado from each issuing institution. All documents submitted become the property of the University of Colorado.

General Academic Requirements

Transfer students who graduated from high school in 1988 or later are subject to the same minimum academic preparation standards as those required of all first year students. Students with less than 13 credit hours to transfer will be treated as Freshman Admission. Please see the “Minimum Academic Preparation Standards” section of this Bulletin.

Transfer students must meet a minimum GPA requirement, which varies according to the hours of collegiate work completed, the type of institution in which the course work was taken, and the specific program to which the student applies. Please refer to the Transfer Admission Requirements chart for details.

(Note that for students transferring with 13-29 credit hours, if the student had high school criteria which meet our freshmen minimum requirements, then he or she is admissible with a 2.0 GPA.)

Work in progress at the time of application cannot be considered in computing the cumulative average. As there are some schools and colleges at UCCS which require a higher grade point average for transfer, students are urged to investigate specific requirements.

Community College Transfer Students

Students who successfully complete a state guaranteed general education course will receive transfer credits applied to graduation requirements in all majors unless a specific statewide Articulation Agreement exists. Currently Colorado has several approved statewide articulation agreements in business, nursing, engineering, elementary teacher education and nursing. Information about the state guaranteed transfer program and articulation agreements is available on the Colorado Commission on Higher Education Website at www.state.co.us/cche.

UCCS will honor the transfer of an associate of arts (AA) degree and the associate of science (AS) degree earned at a Colorado public institution that offers AA or AS degrees. A student who earns an AA or AS with a grade of “C” or better in all courses will transfer with junior standing into any Letters, Arts and Sciences (LAS) degree program offered by UCCS. The credits earned in the associate degree program will apply at minimum to 35 credits. Because all LAS degrees are designed to be completed in 120 credit hours, a transfer student can complete a four-year degree in the same time as a native student, i.e. 120 hours.

Community College transfer students should also refer to the University Connection program, described on page 18, designed to assist AA or AS students transferring to UCCS.

UCCS will evaluate credit for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and alternate sources of credit following its standard policy.

Undergraduate and Unclassified Student Admission Information

Applications and required credentials should be filed no later than July 1 for fall, December 1 for spring, and May 1 for summer.
Call 1-800-990-UCCS (8227) or (719) 262-3383

(Students seeking a Bachelor’s Degree who have never attended a collegiate institution)
See Freshman Admission Critera Chart and Assured Admission Criteria.
  • Complete application
  • $50 application fee (nonrefundable)
  • Official high school transcript showing rank in class and date of graduation. If still enrolled in high school, 7th semester grades and 8th semester courses in progress. 
  • Official ACT or SAT score report
  • For specific unit requirements refer to the college sections of this catalog.
  • Non-high school graduates must submit copies of GED scores and a state equivalency certificate in addition to a high school transcript showing work completed through highest grade.
(Students seeking a Bachelor’s Degree who have attended a collegiate institution other than UCCS)
See Transfer Admission Requirements.
  • Complete application
  • $50 application fee (nonrefundable)
  • One official transcript from each college attended.
  • Freshman credentials may be required.
  • Non-high school graduates must submit copies of GED scores and state equivalency certificates.
  • While credits from an institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, transcripts must be submitted from all institutions where credit has been earned.
Unclassified (Nondegree)
(Students who are not seeking a degree at this institution or who have not yet been admitted to degree status.)
  • Must be 20 years of age by Sept. 15 for fall semester or summer term, or Feb. 15 for spring sem.
  • Must be a high school graduate or possess equivalency certificate.
  • Must have at least a 2.0 GPA and be in good standing and eligible to return to all institutions previously attended.
  • Complete application
  • $25 application fee (nonrefundable)
  • Non-high school graduates must submit copies of GED scores and state equivalency certificates.
  • Unclassified students without a degree must maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain eligible to continue.
  • After completing 12 semester hours, degree seeking students must change to degree status.
  • Not eligible for most forms of financial aid.
Former CU Set-up
(Returning unclassified student; returning degree student with fewer than 12 semester hours at another institution since CU)
  • Must be in good standing (*see Note A)
  • Former student application. Degree students must have official transcripts sent for any work attempted since last CU semester.
Note A—students under academic suspension in certain schools and colleges at CU may enroll during the summer term as a means of improving their GPA  
Former CU Re-entering
(Degree student who has attempted 12 or more hours at another institution since attending CU)
  • Same as for transfer student.
  • Same as for transfer student. Application fee required.
Will be considered for previous major unless a different major is requested on the application. Must meet same criteria as transfer student  
Change of Status: Unclassified to Degree
(Current or former CU unclassified students who wish to enter a degree program)
  • Same as for transfer student.
  • Same as for transfer student. Application fee required.
Change of Status: Degree to Unclassified
(*See Note B—Current or former CU degree students who have graduated and wish to take additional work)
  • Must have completed degree.
  • Must be in good standing and eligible to return to all institutions attended.
  • Unclassified student application.
  • NO application fee required.
Note B—only students who have completed and received a degree are eligible for change from degree status to unclassified.  
Inter-Campus Transfer
(Students who have been enrolled on one CU campus and wish to take courses on another.)
  • Must be in good standing
  • Former student application. 
  • Credentials as required by Campus Admissions Office.
  • Transfers from UCCS to another CU campus should refer to appropriate catalog for any additional requirements.

1 Applicants not meeting these criteria are considered on an individual basis. Requirements for individual schools and colleges may vary or exceed the stated minimum.
2 Transcripts must be sent directly to the University of Colorado from each issuing institution. All documents submitted become the property of the University.
3 Any applicant who did not graduate from a high school must submit GED scores and a State Equivalency Certificate in addition to other required credentials.
4 Additional credentials may be required in individual cases.

Transfer Guides

Guides to assist students in their transfer from Colorado community colleges are available for student use at web.uccs.edu/transfer.

Transfer of College Level Credit

Transfer credit evaluation is made only after a student is admitted as a degree student. An admitted student will be notified when the evaluation has been completed. New transfer students will be advised about requirements remaining and completed when they attend one of the mandatory New Student Orientations.

College credit is transferable to UCCS according to the following stipulations:

  1. Credit must have been earned at a college or university of recognized standing.
  2. Only courses in which a grade of C or better has been attained will be accepted for transfer at this institution. Grades of pass, satisfactory, honors, etc., are also accepted for transfer. However, a limitation is placed on the number of pass hours accepted toward a degree by each school and college.
  3. Credit is not transferable from vocational or technical curricula.
  4. Credit will be granted only for course work appropriate to the curricula at UCCS.
  5. Remedial or sub-college level courses are not transferable.
  6. A maximum of 72 hours may be transferred from a two-year or community college.
  7. A maximum of 102 semester hours of transfer credit may be counted toward graduation. Individual schools and colleges determine which courses and hours will apply toward the degree.
  8. Individual schools and colleges reserve the right to accept or deny credit earned while the student is under scholastic suspension.
  9. A maximum of 60 semester hours of extension credit (including no more than 30 semester hours of correspondence) may be counted toward an undergraduate degree.
  10. Advanced placement credit is evaluated upon receipt of an official score report from the College Entrance Examination Board. Usually only scores of 3, 4, and 5 are considered for credit. Credit is not granted for an advanced placement score if the student has completed a college course which is equivalent to the course for which he/she would receive advanced placement credit.
  11. College Level Examination Program(CLEP) credit for approved subject examinations may only be granted if a score of 67 percentile or above is received and if the courses are acceptable to the student’s school or college. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be counted toward a degree. Credit is not granted for a CLEP score if the student has completed a college course which is equivalent to the course for which he/she would receive CLEP credit.

    Colorado residents may secure CLEP materials from the state regional office by contacting:

    College Level Examination Program
    c/o College Entrance Exam Board
    4155 East Jewell Street, Suite 705
    Denver, Colorado 80222

    Students outside of Colorado may obtain CLEP information and application forms by writing:

    College Level Examination Program
    Box 1822
    Princeton, New Jersey 08540
  12. Credit for military schooling is evaluated upon receipt of forms DD 295 and DD 214. Evaluation of credit is in accordance with the American Council on Education’s credit recommendation and is generally considered as elective credit.
  13. Admission to the University of Colorado does not guarantee eligibility for future transfer into other programs, colleges, or schools within the university.

All course work is evaluated on the semester hour basis, i.e., 1 quarter hour equals 2/3 semester hour.

Transfer Credit Appeal Procedure

State guaranteed courses under the State Guarantee General Education (gtPATHWAYS) policy will transfer to any four-year institution in Colorado to satisfy general education requirements. Other nonguarantee courses are evaluated individually and within 30 days of date of admission. The procedure for appealing a decision involving the acceptance of course work from a Colorado community college for credit toward a degree is as follows:

  1. Students must file an appeal within 15 days of receiving their transcript evaluation by writing the office responsible for transfer evaluations at UCCS. The student should complete and return a petition form to the Student Success Center,Main Hall, 2nd floor. The form will be forwarded to the appropriate authority within the college. The decisions made in the transcript evaluation will be binding if the student fails to file an appeal within this time frame.
  2. UCCS will respond within 30 days in writing to the student appeal.
  3. If the dispute cannot be resolved between the student and UCCS personnel within 30 days, the student may appeal in writing to the Colorado Commission on Higher Education. The student has 15 days from receipt of the written UCCS notification to file an appeal.

Information concerning the appeal process is available at the Student Success Center,Main Hall, 2nd floor.

Transfer Admission Requirements

Students who have completed fewer than 12 semester hours in college work must meet freshman admission standards.


  Business & Administration Engineering & Applied Science** Letters, Arts & Sciences Beth-El College of Nursing & Health Sciences***
13-29 hours of college work completed 2.5 GPA or above with strong math & English 2.5 GPA or above with strong math & English 2.4 GPA or higher 3.3 GPA or higher
30 or more semester hours completed 2.5 GPA or above with 2.5 GPA or above with 2.0 GPA or higher 3.3 GPA or higher

*** Students not meeting criteria for assured admission will be considered for admission based on a combination of class rank, test scores, and high school units.
An Engineering Preparatory Program is available for students having deficiencies in their math/science backgrounds. Higher standards apply for EAS majors.
*** Acceptance to Nursing is highly competitive. Preference is given to those who meet these criteria; however, not all qualified applicants can be accepted.

Student Bill of Rights

Transfer students should be cognizant of the Bill of Rights implemented by the Colorado General Assembly regarding their higher education.

International Student Services

Dwire Hall, room 267
(719) 262-3238 or (719) 262-3819

The International Student Services (ISS) office is part of the Admissions Services unit and exists to support foreign students and scholars attending or planning to attend UCCS and to assist academic departments. The office provides foreign students information and referrals to services and programs and assists in meeting federal compliance requirements under SEVIS. The unit is responsible for providing current and future international students with information and services available to them on campus and in the surrounding community, issuance of I-20 and DS-2019 documents, and in-processing of international students and scholars; it provides international student orientation, OPT and CPT authorization, and support for academic departments with international student and scholars services.

Admission of Unclassified/Nondegree Students

1-800-990-UCCS (8227) ext. 3383
(719) 262-3383

The unclassified student designation has been established to meet the needs of those students who wish to take university courses but who do not presently intend to work toward a degree at the University of Colorado. Permission to register for specific courses is contingent upon the availability of space. Unclassified students may have difficulty obtaining course space due to class enrollment limits and because degree students may have a higher priority in certain departments.

Unclassified students enrolled during the academic year (fall, spring and summer terms)must be 20 years of age or older by September 15 for the fall and summer terms and by February 15 for the spring term,must have a 2.0 GPA in all college work attempted, and must be in good standing at all collegiate institutions attended.

An unclassified student who is not a high school graduate must submit GED scores and a high school equivalency certificate issued by a state department of education at the time of application.

Unclassified students may take courses on a pass/fail basis; however, such credit will be counted as part of the total pass/fail credit allowed by the various schools and colleges should the student change to degree status.

Continuation as an unclassified student (Major Code: NOLD, NOUD, NOHS, NOPS or NODW) is contingent upon maintaining an overall grade point average of 2.0 upon completion of 12 or more semester hours.

Unclassified students may not register concurrently on more than one campus of the university.

The Graduate School of Business and Administration does not allow students to register for graduate level business classes until they are officially admitted to the MBA program.

Teacher Certification Renewal Courses

Certified teachers with baccalaureates who seek only a renewal of the certificate currently held and who do not require institutional endorsement or recommendation may qualify for the university-wide unclassified student classification as outlined above.

Persons with baccalaureates who seek initial teacher certification must apply for and be admitted to the Teacher Education Program separately and meet the requirements of the College of Education. For information on the deadlines for admission to the program, unclassified students should consult the College of Education.

Advanced Placement (AP)

All colleges accept AP credits but apply them differently depending on the student’s degree program. Please contact an advisor in the Student Success Center for test score interpretation.


Art History 5,4,3 A H 280, 282 6
Studio Art 5,4,3 V A 104, 206 6
Biology 5,4 BIOL110, 115, 111, 116 6
Calculus AB 5 MATH135 4
Calculus AB 4 MATH135 4
Calculus BC 5,4 MATH 135, 136 8
Calculus BC 3 MATH135 4
Chemistry 5,4 CHEM103, 106 10
Chemistry 3 CHEM103 5
Computer Science A 5 C S 115 3
Computer Science AB 5,4 C S 1 - - 4
Macroeconomics 5,4 ECON202 3
Microeconomics 5,4 ECON101 3
English Lang/Comp 5 ENGL131,141 6
English Lang/Comp 4 ENGL131 3
English Lit/Comp 5 ENGL 141, 150 (exempt from 131) 6
English Lit/Comp 4 ENGL131, 150 6
Environmental Science 5,4 GES 1- - 4
French Language 5,4 FR 211, 1 - - (exempt from 301) 6
French Language 3 FR 211 4
French Literature 5,4 FR 211, 1 - - (exempt from 311) 6
French Literature 3 FR 211 3
German Language 5,4 GER 211, 1 - - (exempt from 301) 6
German Language 3 GER 211 4
Comparative Govt/Pol 5,4 P SC 101 3
Amer Govt & Politics 5,4 P SC 110 3
European History 5,4 HIST101, 103 6
United States History 5,4 HIST151, 154 6
World History 5,4 HIST1– 6
Human Geography 5,4 GES 199 4
Latin Literature 5,4 LAT 1 - - 3
Latin Literature 3 LAT 1 - - 3
Latin: Virgil 5,4 HUM 1 - - 6
Latin: Virgil 3 HUM 1 - - 3
Music Theory 5,4 MUS 2 - - 6
Music Theory 3 MUS 2 - - 3
Physics B 5,4,3 PES 101, 102 8
Physics C-Elec/Mag 5,4 PES 112, 215 5
Physics C- Mechanics 5,4 PES 111, 115 5
Psychology 5,4 PSY 100 4
Spanish Language 5,4 SPAN211, 1- - (exempt from 301) 6
Spanish Language 3 SPAN211 4
Spanish Literature 5,4 SPAN211, 1- - (exempt from 301) 6
Spanish Literature 3 SPAN211 3
Statistics 5,4 QUAN201 3

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

All colleges accept CLEP credits but apply them differently depending on the student’s degree program. Please contact an advisor in the Student Success Center for score interpretation.


American History I 55 HIST151 3
American History II 55 HIST153 3
General Biology 54 BIOL 110, 115 6
Calculus 54 MATH 135, MATH 1- - 6
Chemistry 54 CHEM 103 5
Freshman College Composition with Essay 67%on multiple choice portion w/a “pass” on essay portion ENGL131 3
French 55 FR 101, 102 8
German 55 GER 101, 102 8
Macroeconomics 55 ECON 202 (Formerly 102) 3
Microeconomics 55 ECON 101 3
Psychology 54 PSY 100 3
Sociology 55 SOC 111 3
Spanish 56 SPAN101, 102 8
Western Civilization I 55 HIST101 3
Western Civilization II 55 HIST103 3

Applying Unclassified Student Credits toward Degree

Unclassified students may apply for admission to an undergraduate degree program by submitting an undergraduate admissions application, complete academic credentials, and the application fee. Accepted degree applicants may transfer a maximum of 12 semester hours taken as an unclassified student at this university to an undergraduate degree program with the approval of the appropriate dean’s office.

Unclassified students desiring to pursue a graduate degree at the university are encouraged to submit the complete graduate application and supporting credentials as soon as possible. Students may be allowed to transfer up to 9 semester hours of credit taken as an unclassified student at this university to apply toward a master’s degree provided the transfer is recommended by the department concerned and approved by the dean of the Graduate School.

Students are advised to contact the Office of the Dean of the specific college or school in which they wish to enroll as a graduate student for further details on the transfer of unclassified student credentials. See also transfer of unclassified student credit hours in this Bulletin.

For continuation as an unclassified student see “eligibility to return” section in this Bulletin.

Graduate Student Admission

Admission to any of the graduate programs in all of the UCCS colleges is administered through the Graduate School. For complete information on admission, see the Graduate School section of this Bulletin. Students may also contact the Graduate School at the following address:

Graduate School
Main Hall, room304
719) 262-3417
Fax: (719) 262-3045

Registration, Records and Academic Policies


Registrar’s Office/Records and Registration
Room108,Main Hall
(719) 262-3361
Enrollment Verification: (719) 262-3387
Fax: (719) 262-3116
Records and Registration Information: (719) 262-3361
Transcripts: (719) 262-3376
Tuition Classification: (719) 262-3361 or 262-3375


Registration dates are published in the Academic Calendar on the inside front cover of this Bulletin, in the Schedule of Courses published each semester, and on the Academic Calendar published on the Web. Times and details of registration, course offerings and instructions on how to register over the Internet via the Student Online Center are published in the UCCS Schedule of Courses each academic term. Changes to the published schedule are posted on the Web.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Any student admitted to UCCS after June 30, 2003, who has graduated from high school having successfully completed an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, shall be granted at least 24 semester hours of college credit. No tuition shall be charged for these credits. These credits shall be granted, however, only if the student receives a score of 4 or better on an examination administered as part of the IB diploma program. Students who complete four Higher Level (HL) exams will receive 6-8 hours of credit for each exam. Students who complete three HL exams and three Standard Level (SL) exams will receive 6-8 hours of credit for each individual HL exam and a total of 6 hours of elective credit for all three of the SL exams in aggregate, as long as at least one of the SL exams has a score of 4 or better.

Students who do not complete the entire IB Diploma Program will receive credit for up to four Higher Level (HL) exams completed with scores of 4 or better. No credit will be awarded for Standard Level (SL) exams. Credit is not granted for an International Baccalaureate score if the student completes an equivalent college course or Advanced Placement (AP) course.

All colleges accept IB credits but apply them differently depending on the student’s degree program. Please contact an advisor in the Student Success Center for test score interpretation.


Anthropology (Social) 4-7 ANTH 240 & ANTH 2– 6
Biology 4-7 BIOL 110/111, 115/116 6
Business & Organization 4-7 BUAD 1– 6
Chemistry 4-7 CHEM 103 & CHEM 1– 6
Computer Science 4-7 C S 115 & C S 1– 6
Design Technology 4-7 —-1– 6
Economics 4-7 ECON 1– 6
English A-1 4 —-1– 6
  5 ENGL 131 & ENGL 150 6
  6-7 ENGL 141 & ENGL 150 6
Geography 4-7 GES 198 & GES 199 6
History w/Regional Opt-Africa 4-7 HIST 104 & HIST 1– 6
History w/Regional Opt-Americas 4-7 HIST 104 & HIST 153 6
History w/Regional Opt- 4-7 HIST 104 & HIST 111 6
East and SE Asia & Oceania      
History w/Regional Opti-Europe 4-7 HIST 104 & HIST 103 6
History w/Regional Opt- 4-7 HIST 104 & HIST 121 6
S Asia and the Middle East      
Islamic History 4-7 HIST 1– 6
Languages-Group A-1 4 XXXX 4–  
Languages-Group A-2 4-7 XXXX 102 & XXXX 211 8
Languages-Group B 4-7 XXXX 101 & XXXX 102 8
Mathematics (Calculus) 4-7 MATH 135 & MATH 1– 6
Music 4-7 MUS 100 & MUS 1– 6
Philosophy 4-7 PHIL 1– 6
Physics 4-7 PES 101/115, 102/215 6
Psychology 4 PSY 2– 6
  5-7 PSY 100 & PSY 2– 6
Theatre Arts 4-7 THTR 100 & THTR 202 6
Visual Arts 4-7 A H 100 & V A 101 6

*Note on Standard-Level languages: scores of 4 or better meet the UCCS admissions requirement of 2 units of MAPS-Foreign Language.

Immunization Requirement

The Colorado Department of Health and Environment requires any student who 1) is enrolled for one or more classes at a college or university, 2) is physically present at the institution, including auditing classes but excluding correspondence/ distance learning classes, and 3) was born January 1, 1957 or later, to be immunized against Rubeola measles, Rubella, measles and mumps (MMR), or provide documented proof of immunity to all three. Individuals born before January 1, 1957 are presumed immune and are exempt from the immunization requirement. See the Student Health Center under the Student Services Section for further information.

Classification of In-state and Out-of-state Students

(719) 262-3381 or (719) 262-3385
1-800-990-UCCS (8227)

A student is initially classified as an in-state or out-of-state registrant for tuition purposes at the time an application and all supporting credentials have been received in the Office of Admissions Services. The classification is based upon information furnished by the student and from other relevant sources. After the student’s status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary. A student who, due to subsequent events, becomes eligible for a change in tuition classification, whether from out-of-state to in-state or the reverse, has the responsibility of informing the tuition classification officer, Office of Records and Registration, in writing within 15 days after such a change occurs.

If adult students, or emancipated minors, establish domicile outside Colorado, they are to send written notification within 15 days to the tuition classification officer.

Petitioning for Residency Classification Change
Instructions as to the procedure to follow for residency classification change, the necessary petition forms, and detailed information regarding the statute are available from the tuition classification officer in the Records and Registration Office and on the Web. Complete petitions forms to apply for a change of status are due and must be submitted no later than the end of the first week of the semester for which a change of status is sought.

Classification Notes

  1. Petitions will not be acted upon until an application for admission to the university and complete supporting credentials have been received.
  2. Changes in classification are made effective at the time of the student’s next registration.
  3. A student who willfully gives wrong information to evade payment of the out-of-state tuition is subject to legal and disciplinary action.
  4. Petitions and all required documents must be submitted no later than the end of the first week of classes (see Academic Calendar) for the term a change in status is sought. Late or incomplete petitions will not be considered until the next semester.

U.S. and Canadian Military/Colorado National Guard/Olympic Waivers of Non-Resident Tuition
Special rules for residency apply to active duty members of the U.S., Colorado National Guard and Canadian Armed Forces permanently stationed in Colorado and their dependents and Olympic athletes in training. Strict deadlines of certification for each term that one enrolls are enforced for these individuals. Members of the U.S. and Canadian Military and their family members and Olympic Athletes who are undergraduate students and qualify for a waiver of nonresident tuition ARE eligible for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend. Please contact the tuition classification officer in Admissions and Records for details. Canadian Military and members of the Colorado National Guard and their family members who are undergraduate students and qualify for a waiver of nonresident tuition ARE NOT eligible for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend and pay the Total Cost of Tuition.


All persons attending regularly scheduled classes must be registered and must have paid the proper tuition and fees. The tuition for those auditing a course on this campus is the same as for those registered for credit. Auditors register for courses for No Credit (NC).

Graduate Candidate for Degree

Students enrolled as “Candidate for Degree” only to take a comprehensive examination for a master’s degree will pay graduate, resident tuition for 1 credit hour, plus appropriate fees.

Records & Academic Policies

(719) 262-3376

How Academic Work Is Recorded On Transcripts

Courses are grouped by the term or semester in which they were taken.

When a college or school is unique to a particular campus of the university (the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences on the UCCS campus) and the student has completed the degree requirements, the degree and field of study will be designated on the transcript as follows:

Example: Degree—BA Conferred (date) at Colorado Springs Sociology

For students graduating from colleges and schools represented on two or more campuses, there may be no campus designation.

Example: Degree—BS Conferred (date) Business Students completing a double major will be listed as follows:

Example: Degree—BA Conferred (date) at Colorado Springs Psychology and Sociology

College of Letters, Arts and Sciences students graduating in Distributed Studies will show all the disciplines used to meet the unique degree requirements:

Example: Degree BA Conferred (date) at Colorado Springs Distributed Studies–Fine Arts, History, Communication, and English

Academic minors (completed at time a degree is awarded) are recorded on the transcript.

General and departmental honors are recorded on the transcript.

How to Order Transcripts

University of Colorado transcripts of student academic records can be ordered via the Student Online Center (www.uccs.edu) or by written request from the Admissions and Records Office.

  • Written requests must include the following:
  • Student’s full name (include maiden or other name if applicable)
  • Student number
  • Birth date
  • The last term student was in attendance
  • Whether the current semester grades are to be included when a transcript is ordered near the end of a term
  • Agency, college, or individuals to whom transcripts are to be sent with complete mailing addresses
  • Student’s signature (This is the student’s authorization to release the records to the designee.)

There is no additional charge for transcripts beyond the matriculation fee paid by all new students. Special fees are charged for special handling (rush, fax, etc.). Transcripts are prepared only at the student’s request. A student having financial obligations to the university that are due and unpaid will not be granted a transcript. Copies of transcripts from other institutions cannot be furnished.

Auditing Courses, “No-Credit” Courses

Nonregistered students: All persons who wish to attend regularly scheduled classes and who are not registered students must obtain auditor’s status. Auditors, whether in-state or out-of-state, pay in-state tuition for 3 semester hours at the lower division undergraduate rate for fall, spring, or summer term and receive class instruction and library privileges only. Auditors may attend as many courses as they wish. An auditor’s card must be presented to the instructor when requesting permission to attend a class. Cards may be obtained from the Bursar’s Office in Main Hall after classes begin. To qualify as an auditor, an individual must be 21 years of age or older. Persons are not eligible to audit courses if they are under suspension from the university. Auditors may attend as many courses as they wish (except those courses with laboratories or where equipment is used), provided they have permission from the instructor.

Registered students: If a regular degree student wishes to participate in a class without receiving credit, the student must register for the course for No Credit. Tuition for courses taken for No Credit is the same as for courses taken for credit. Auditors should note that the Office of Admissions and Records does not keep any record of courses audited; therefore, credit for these courses cannot be established. In order to register for no credit, the student should complete a Credit Change Form indicating the course for which no credit is desired. Deadlines and rules for changing are the same as for Drop/Add. See also Grading System and Drop/Add.

Commencement Policy

The Bulletin that governs a student’s graduation requirements is the one in effect at the time of the student’s most recent admission into the college or school of the student’s degree program.

Participation in academic ceremonies that recognize or honor students for the completion of an academic program or specific academic accomplishment is based on the understanding that all requirements have been completed. Every effort will be made to determine eligibility in advance and only students who have met requirements will be permitted to participate.

Commencement exercises for graduates of the summer and fall semesters are held in December. Spring semester commencement is held in May. Graduates will receive diplomas approximately eight weeks after the end of the term in which the degree is conferred.

Course Numbering System

The word preceding the course number identifies the department offering the course. The first digit in the number indicates in a general way the class level of the course: 100/1000- level courses are primarily for freshmen, 200/2000-level courses for sophomores, 300/3000-level for juniors, 400/4000- level for seniors and 500/5000- and 600/6000-level for graduates. The digit after the dash denotes the credit-hour value of the course. Thus, “CHEM101-4” signifies that the course is in chemistry, that it is freshman level, and that it carries 4 hours of credit.

Level of Courses Numbered 900-998:

900-929   Lower division, undergraduate
930-949   Upper division, undergraduate
950-959   Graduate, Level 1
960-979   Graduate, Level 2
980-998   Other


Diplomas will carry the designation of the campus where the majority of the academic work was done at the upper division level.

General and departmental honors are shown on the diploma. The discipline is indicated in award of departmental honors.

The Bachelor of Science or Arts (BS or BA) will indicate the field of study, such as business, chemistry, electrical engineering, or physics.

In the Graduate School, the designation is Master of Arts, Master of Science, or Master of Sciences. The Graduate School of Public Affairs designates its degree Master of Public Administration.

The Graduate School of Business Administration designates its degree Master of Business Administration.

Dropping and Adding Courses

Students will be allowed to drop and add of their own accord through census date (the 12th day of classes of the regular semester or the 6th day of classes of the summer term). Courses that meet less than the full 16 week term in fall and spring and eight weeks in the summer have special pro-rated drop and add deadlines. Drop and add deadlines are published in the Schedule of Courses.

After this time, the instructor’s and dean’s signatures (of the college offering the course) are required for adds. For drops, the instructor’s signature is required. If the instructor chooses to sign the Course Change Form because the situation warrants a drop under the instructor’s course policy on dropping courses, the drop will be processed. If the instructor judges the situation does not meet the course policy for drops, he/she will not sign the form and the student will not be dropped from the course. (Course Change Forms will not be accepted without required signatures and drop is effective the date forms are received by the Records Office.)

After the 10th week of the regular semester or the 5th week of the summer term, courses may not be dropped unless there are circumstances clearly beyond the student’s control (accident, illness, etc.). In addition to the instructor’s certification (as described above), the dean of the college offering the course must approve the drop.

Students receiving financial aid or veterans benefits must also obtain the signature of the appropriate certifying official.

There are no refunds on individual courses dropped after the course census date.

Tuition assessment for courses added after initial registration, which would result in additional tuition charges, will be added to the student’s bill. Semester-long courses added by undergraduate students after the term census date ARE NOT eligible for Colorado Opportunity Fund stipend.

Eligibility to Return Each Session

Degree Students should refer to the appropriate school or college section of this Bulletin for information regarding eligibility to return.

Unclassified Students (Major Code NOLD, NOUD, NOHS or NODW) continuation is contingent upon maintaining an overall grade point average of 2.0 upon completion of 12 or more semester hours. Failure to maintain the required average will result in an unclassified student being suspended. The suspension is for an indefinite period of time and becomes part of the student’s permanent record at the university. While under suspension, enrollment at the university is restricted to summer terms or courses offered through Extended Studies.

Unclassified students are not placed on academic probation prior to being suspended.

Enrollment Status

The definitions for full-time/part-time enrollment are as follows:

  1. A full-time undergraduate degree student is one who is enrolled for at least 12 credit hours. Undergraduate degree students are considered part time when they are enrolled for fewer than 12 hours. These criteria also apply for unclassified students without a degree.
  2. A full-time graduate student is one who is enrolled for 5 semester hours of graduate level course work, or at least 8 semester hours in a combination of graduate and undergraduate course work acceptable for graduate credit, or any number of thesis hours. Graduate degree students need only enroll for half this amount to be considered full time during summer terms. The definition of “full-time”may be different for graduate students seeking financial aid.
  3. Unclassified students with a degree-seeking student loan deferment must be enrolled for 12 semester hours to be considered full-time.

Final Examination Policy

It is the policy of UCCS to adhere to the final examination schedule as published in the Schedule of Courses each semester. While it may be appropriate not to give a final in some cases, such as laboratory courses, seminars, and colloquia, final examinations should be given in all other undergraduate courses.

Exceptions to this policy should be agreed upon by the faculty member and the chair of the department no later than the beginning of the semester in which an exception is requested. The resulting decision should be announced in writing to students in the class during the first week of classes.

In addition to the principles stated above, the following guidelines should be followed by all faculty members and administrators in order to assure fairness and the best possible educational experience for students:

  1. The scheduled final examination period should be considered an important part of the course and used as a final examination period or for additional instruction.
  2. The final examination in a course should be given as scheduled and not at other times even if the faculty member and all students in a course agree to such a change.
  3. The week of classes preceding the scheduled final examination period should be used primarily for continued instruction and may include the introduction of new material. No hourly examinations are to be given during the week preceding final examinations
  4. Individual students may be granted a variance from these policies provided the instructor is satisfied that:
    1. the exception is based on good and sufficient reasons (such as religious observances), and
    2. such an exception for an early or late examination will not prejudice the interests of other students in the course.
  5. When students have three or more examinations on the same day, they will be entitled to arrange an alternative examination time for the first exam or exams scheduled on that day. Such arrangements must be made no later than the end of the 10th week of the semester (i.e., at the end of the drop period). Students will be expected to provide evidence that they have three or more examinations in order to qualify for exceptions.
  6. This policy applies to all undergraduate students, including seniors. Graduating seniors should not be exempted from final examinations. Such exemptions are inappropriate on both procedural and academic grounds.

The actual schedule for final exams appears in the Schedule of Courses for the appropriate semester or term.

Grading Policies

Grades, when posted, are available on the Student Online Center at www.uccs.edu.

Grade Symbols
The instructor is responsible for whatever grade symbol (A, B, C, D, F, P, IF, IW, or IP) is to be assigned. Special symbols (NC and W) are indications of registration or grade status and are not assigned by the instructor but are automatically converted by the grade application system, explained under Pass/Fail Procedure.

Each College or School individually determines the use of +/- grading.


Standard Grades Quality Points for Each Hour of Credit
A= superior/excellent 4
A(-) = 3.7
B(+) = 3.3
B = good/better than average 3
B(-) = 2.7
C(+) = 2.3
C = competent/average 2
C(-) = 1.7
D(+) = 1.3
D = 1
D(-) =minimum passing 0.7
F = failing 0

Special Symbols

NC indicates registration on a no-credit or audit basis
W indicates withdrawal or drop without discredit
IF indicates incomplete—regarded as F if not completed within one year.
(Students should be aware that IF grades are automatically changed to F grades, without formal notification, when the one-year time allowance has passed.)
IW indicates incomplete—regarded as W if not completed within one year. (The College of Business does not give IW grades; for incomplete work it uses the IF grade only.)
IP indicates in progress—thesis or dissertation at the graduate level only.
PF indicates the pass/fail option—P grade is not included in the grade point average; the F grade is included; up to 16 hours of pass/fail course work may be credited toward a bachelor’s degree; a letter grade of D- or above is considered passing.

Explanation of IW and IF

An IF or IW is an incomplete grade. Policies with respect to IF/IW grades are available in the individual college and school dean’s offices. Use of the IF or IW is at the option of the academic dean’s office.

The student must ask for the incomplete grade. An incomplete grade is given only when students, for reasons beyond their control, have been unable to complete the course requirements. It is understood that a substantial amount of work must have been satisfactorily completed before approval for such a grade is given.

If an instructor decides to grant a request for IF or IW, the instructor sets the conditions whereby the course work will be completed. The course work must be completed within a year, but the instructor may also set less time than one year for completion. The student is expected to complete the requirements within the established deadline.

The instructor, with approval of the department, determines if the course should be retaken. If a course is retaken, the student must register for the course and pay the appropriate tuition.

The final grade (earned either by completing the course requirements or by retaking the course) does not result in deletion of the IF or IW grade symbol from the transcript. A second entry is posted on the transcript to show the final grade for the course.

At the end of one year, IF and IW grades for courses that are not completed or repeated will be regarded as F or W, respectively. Requests for an extension of time to complete the course beyond the one-year deadline cannot be approved.

Pass/Fail Enrollment

Students who wish to register for a course on a pass/fail basis do so during regular registration.

Changes to or from a pass/fail basis may be effected during the first 12 class-days of the fall or spring semesters or the first six class-days of the summer term. After this period it will not be possible to change registration unless it is approved by the dean as a specific exception.

Only 6 hours of course work may be taken as PF in any given semester.

Students should refer to the rules of their particular school, college, and/or department for additional information regarding the guidelines and limitations of pass/fail registration.

The record of pass/fail registration is maintained by the Office of Admissions and Records. Academic deans and faculty will not be aware of specific pass/fail registrations. All students who are registered on a pass/fail basis appear on the regular class roster and a normal letter grade is assigned on the final grade roster by the professor. When grades are received in the Admissions and Records Office, registrations which require a PF designation are converted by the grade application system. Grades of D- and above convert to a grade of P. Grades of F remain.

Computing a Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is computed by multiplying the credit points per hour, (A=4, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3, B-=2.7, C+=2.3, C=2.0, C-=1.7, D+=1.3, D=1.0, D-=0.7, F=0) by the number of hours for each course, totaling the hours and the credit points, and dividing the latter by the former. For example:

ENGL 131 3 B 9 credit points
PSY 210 4 C+ 9.2 credit points
HIST 101 3 B 9 credit points
CHEM103 5 A 20 credit points
  15 hours   47.2 credit points

The grade point average is therefore 47.2 divided by 15, i.e. 3.147.

The grade point received at another institution will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average at the University of Colorado.

Grades of P, H, NC, Y,W, IP, IW, and IF are not included in the grade point average. IFs that are not completed within one year are calculated as F in the GPA at the end of the one year grace period.

It is University of Colorado policy that the undergraduate GPA, the graduate nondegree (unclassified) GPA, and the graduate degree GPA are calculated separately.

If a course is repeated, all grades earned are used in determining the university GPA.

Students should refer to their academic dean’s office for individual grade point average calculations as they relate to academic progress and graduation from their college or school.

Individual Academic Records

All credentials (high school and/or college transcripts, test reports, etc.) used for admission become the property of the University of Colorado. When a student has been out of school for four years, the file is destroyed.

The Permanent Record Card showing all academic work done at any of the University of Colorado campuses, including credit courses through the Division of Extended Studies, will be maintained in perpetuity.

Major Declaration

Policy of the Board of Regents requires that students declare a major by the time they have 60 hours towards their degree— by the start of their junior year.

No Credit

See Auditing Courses.

Schedule Changes

The university reserves the right to cancel, postpone, or combine scheduled classes and to change instructors.

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal means that the student is dropping all courses for which he or she is registered for a specific term/semester.

A student will be allowed to withdraw during the first ten weeks of the fall or spring semester or the first five weeks of the summer term. After this time, a student may not withdraw unless the circumstances are clearly beyond the student’s control; this requires the signature of the dean of the student’s academic unit.

A student receiving financial aid or veteran’s benefits must obtain the signature of the appropriate certifying official. Financial aid may have to be repaid.

The student must obtain approval from the Bursar/ Cashier office.

A withdrawal becomes effective on the date the withdrawal form, completed by the student and signed by the student’s dean and required certifying officials, is received by the Records and Registration Office. Eligibility for a rebate or refund of the total bill is determined by the date the form is receipted by Records and Registration Office, NOT the date the student stops attending class.

Unless the student follows these procedures, the withdrawal is not effective and grades of “F” will be recorded for all courses not completed.

Writing Competency Requirement for Graduation

(719) 262-4038 or (719) 262-4040.

No student will be awarded a bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) unless he or she can demonstrate competency in writing. Students may demonstrate such competency in either of the following ways:

  1. By passing English 131, fulfilling the other composition course requirements stipulated by their college, and then passing the writing competency portfolio assessment administered after the completion of their final 3 credit hours of composition course work.
  2. By completing their UCCS writing requirements through the transfer of equivalent written communication courses taken at a major two-year or four-year institution (C- or better), and upon transferring these courses to UCCS, passing the writing portfolio assignment administered by the Writing Program. Students have one year from their initial enrollment to demonstrate competency by earning a pass on the portfolio. Students who do not pass the competency within one year must alternately complete an advanced writing course at the 300-level. This course will be in addition to other 300-level composition courses stipulated by their college as part of their degree requirements. The “final” composition course for each undergraduate program is listed below:
  • For LAS and Nursing students: ENGL 141
  • For BUS students: ENGL 307 or COMM 324
  • For EAS students: ENGL 307 or 309

For further information about the writing portfolio assessment, see the Schedule of Courses, or contact the Writing Program.

Transfer students who have completed all composition requirements before enrolling at UCCS should contact the Writing Program concerning the portfolio assessment during their first semester in order to progress toward graduation in a timely manner.

Student Success Center


Main Hall, second floor
(719) 262-3260
Fax: (719) 262-3645

The Student Success Center is a “one stop” location on campus for meeting students’ needs. Services include new student orientation, academic advising for all undergraduate students, career services, degree audit, and transfer evaluations. Students can find information about academic program options and requirements, how to select or change majors, degree progress reports, and a variety of other services designed to help students achieve their desired degrees.

Orientation for New Students

(719) 262-3260

Orientation programs are held preceding each term to acquaint new students with UCCS academic programs, out-of-class activities, and campus services. Academic advising, registration for classes, and an introduction to campus life constitute the main orientation activities. New students are required to attend an orientation session before being permitted to register for classes. For more information, go to: http://web.uccs.edu/orientation.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is available to all undergraduate students on an ongoing basis through the Student Success Center. Advisors are available to review degree requirements, course options, various academic programs and a wide variety of other academic advising questions. Students can walk into the Center on the second floor of Main Hall or call (719) 262-3269 for an appointment.

Career Center

Main Hall 201
(719) 262-3340

Career advising and resources are available throughout a student’s educational path at the Student Success Career Center. Students undecided about a major can get help discovering exciting possibilities for study. Those considering a career change can find help exploring career areas and the jobs that will bring satisfaction. Students ready to find a job can receive assistance in creating a powerful resume and cover letter, and the Career Center also can assist with polishing interviewing skills.

The Career Center hosts many events and recruiters each year, including two Career Fairs.

For more information, go to http://web.uccs.edu/careercenter. Students seeking an internship or employment can register with our online job board: www.ecampusrecruiter.com/uccs.

Degree Progress Reports

(719) 262-3260

Degree progress reports are available to inform students of their academic progress, requirements met and requirements remaining for both their departmental major and their college. Students should review these reports regularly and refer to them when registering for courses every semester. Students should be familiar with their degree progress when seeking academic advising. Students can access their degree progress reports by going to the Student Online Center from the campus Web site.

Testing Services for Math Placement

Main Hall, second floor
(719) 262-3260

The MPT—Math Placement Test, the Algebra Diagnostic Test, and the Calculus Readiness Test are administered by appointment, and at each freshman orientation.

Contact the Testing Office for scheduling and information or go to: http://www.uccs.edu/~dservice/.

University Connection Transfer Program

(719) 262-3260

UCCS has entered into agreements to assist students in two-year academic programs who complete their AA or AS degrees and plan to transfer to UCCS. The program provides transfer advising and close coordination with the academic colleges at UCCS.

University Connection scholarships are also available. University Connection offers these transfer services to the following community colleges: Pikes Peak Community College,Arapahoe Community College, Red Rocks Community College, Otero Junior College, Lamar Community College, Pueblo Community College, and Trinidad State Junior College. Students attending other two year institutions not listed can contact the program staff to make special arrangements for assistance with transfer to UCCS.



College Opportunity Fund

In May 2004, an act of the Colorado state legislature established a new way for the State of Colorado to provide state tax-dollar support for higher education at the undergraduate level. The state is no longer appropriating monies to institutions for undergraduate educating, but instead is providing direct funding to undergraduate students through the College Opportunity Fund (COF).

This program, also known as “vouchers” or “stipends,” allows resident undergraduate students to request that COF vouchers be applied to their university bills.

Current information with specific details regarding COF vouchers can be found on the UCCS question and answer Web site at www.uccs.edu/cof.htm. Details of the COF program are determined by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) and the College Assist Program. Updated details are also available at https://www.cusys.edu/ums/cof/faq.html and https://cof.college-assist.org/COFApp/cofapp.

Tuition rates

(719) 262-3391

The Board of Regents reserves the right to change tuition and fees at any time.

Tuition rates for Fall 2008 were not finalized by the time of publication of this Bulletin. When available, tuition rates for Fall 2008 will be published on our Web site. Go to www.uccs.edu and click on “Approved Tuition Rates.”

Expenses for students attending the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs vary depending on housing (on or off campus), program of study, state residency (tuition classification), personal needs, and individual interests.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payments and Balance Due Dates

Students must pay tuition in full by the first due date of the semester (see Schedule of Courses) or enroll in a deferred payment plan. Students receiving financial aid or a guaranteed student loan should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if they are eligible for a payment waiver. Students covered by a third-party contract should contact the Student Financial Services Office. Students receiving veteran’s assistance or assistance through the G.I. Bill will be expected to pay according to the normal payment dates in the Schedule of Courses. Due dates for payment of balances and deferred payment plan information are contained in the Schedule of Courses. Bills will be mailed approximately two weeks after the end of the drop/add period for the balance of tuition and fees. Payments must be received at the Student Financial Services Office by the due date. Mail postmarked on the due date will not be honored.

Bills not paid by the appropriate due date will be assessed a prorated late fine up to $50 and will accrue a one percent per month service charge on the unpaid balance (12% APR).

Students receiving financial aid will have tuition and fees deducted from their awards. Any balance remaining may be deposited to the student’s bank account after completion and submittal of a Direct Deposit Authorization form to the Student Financial Services Information Desk located just outside the Cashier window, located in Main Hall, second floor.

Personal Checks

A student’s personal check is accepted for any university obligation, unless the student is deemed to be a poor credit risk. A $20 service charge plus bank collection charges will be assessed for all returned checks. If the check was for a tuition bill, a prorated late payment fine of up to $50 plus interest will be assessed if applicable.

Drops or Withdrawals

A course drop or withdrawal is effective on the date that the completed form is returned to and stamped received by the Records Office. Any adjustment in tuition is made as of the receipted date by the Records Office.

Refunds and Rebates

Refunds and/or rebates will not be processed until approximately two weeks after the end of the drop/add period. The amount of refund/rebate is determined by the time of withdrawal in accordance with the policy contained in the Schedule of Courses.

Payment Policy

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure payment is completed by the established due date. Students who enroll after the last day of late registration must pay a $50 late registration fee plus, either estimated tuition and fees in full, or enroll in a $335 deferred payment plan (see Schedule of Courses) and meet the established final payment due date.

Census date determination

The census date is the final controlling date for assessment of tuition and receiving a refund for a change in registration (dropped course), as well as requesting the pass/fail option or changing back to a letter grade, and a number of other academic, financial, and registration functions. Census date is the 12th class day of a fall or spring semester or the 6th class day of the summer term. The exact day and date is printed in the Schedule of Courses each semester.

Student Health Insurance

Main Hall, room 322
(719) 262-3258

UCCS offers a group health insurance program to students enrolled in nine (9) or more credit hours as an undergraduate or six (6) or more credit hours as a degree seeking graduate student. Brochures and enrollment cards are available in the Office of the Dean of Students. Open enrollment ends on the census date of fall semester.

Student Fees

All students enrolled for courses are assessed mandatory student fees; the amounts and applications are detailed in the following accounts.

General Fees

Learning Technology Fee

All students pay a $5 per credit hour learning technology fee each semester. This fee provides for the purchase of new computer equipment and software that are accessible to all students, the maintenance and upgrade of telecommunication equipment used in all current and future learning centers, and the development of a broad set of informational communication offerings accessible to all students.

Matriculation Fee

This nonrefundable charge is assessed to all students new to the University of Colorado system. It is a one-time charge of $25 and covers the normal cost of transcripts and establishing your university record. The fee is assessed during registration at the time of initial enrollment and is nonrefundable, even though the student may withdraw.

Parking Permits

(719) 262-3528

It is the policy of the Colorado Commission on Higher Education that parking for vehicles owned by students, faculty and staff must be funded on a self supporting basis from special charges made of those owning automobiles and parking them on campus. In accordance with this policy, the UCCS Parking and Transportation Services Operation is established as a self supporting auxiliary enterprise, RECEIVING NO STATE APPROPRIATIONS from tax revenues. This means that the construction, improvement and maintenance of all parking facilities at UCCS are financed solely through permit sales, parking fines and visitor parking revenue. Annual revenue must be sufficient to satisfy operating expenses and to repay revenue bonds sold to construct parking facilities.

Residential students parking a car on campus must purchase a Resident Permit. The Resident Permit allows students to park in parking lots 9, N, and level 5 of the parking garage.

Commuter students have the option of purchasing a parking permit to park in HUB parking lots or Lot N. A HUB permit allows parking in Lots 1, 3, 4, 6-8, 13, A-D, F and N. The Hub permit is also valid on levels 1, 2, and 4 of the parking garage. Permits are also available for Lot N access and evening parking only. Commuter students not wishing to purchase a parking permit may park at the Four Diamonds parking lot located at 5025NorthNevada. Bus service to the main campus is provided free of charge to students who possess a valid I.D. card.

Cars violating parking regulations are subject to ticketing and/or towing. Parking is on a first come, first served basis. Faculty, staff and students should direct all parking or traffic inquiries to Parking Services, in the Department of Public Safety, Public Safety Building, room104, or call 262-3528.

Safety and Transportation Fee

The Safety and Transportation fee is charged per student, per semester regardless of a student’s credit hour course load. The fee is $61.50 for the fall and spring semester, $30.75 for the summer term. Some of the things the Student Safety and Transportation fee pays for are as follows:

  1. The campus shuttle and the Four Diamonds bus service
  2. Increased hours and service from the campus police
  3. Emergency phones on campus
  4. Lighting along roadways and in parking lots

Student Health Center Fee

The Health Center is available to all full-time and part-time students who have paid the following fees, per semester: Fall semester, $25; Spring semester, $25; Summer session: $12.50. This is a mandatory fee for all full-time students.

Student Identification Fee

The fee for a student photo ID is $15 and is a one time, nonrefundable fee.

Student Information System (SIS) Fees

This is a nonrefundable $5.50 fee charged to all students, payable each semester of registration.

The Student Information System(SIS) enables the university to provide better service to its students through the maintenance of student records, course scheduling, data management, transcripts, financial aid, student accounts and registration using the student online center.

Student Events/Performance Fee

The Student Events/Performance fee of $4 per semester for students enrolled in more than six credit hours and $2.50 per semester for students enrolled in six or fewer credit hours provides free access for all UCCS students to all Theatre works performances and events in the Bon Vivant Theater in University Hall.

Student Life Fees

$139 Plus $15.35 Per Credit Hour

Every student enrolled for courses will be assessed mandatory student life fees for each semester enrolled. These fees finance the student facilities, programs and services that are not supported by the university’s general fund budget.

The seven Student Life Fees are as follows:

  1. Athletics Fee ($4.85 per credit hour); this supports six women’s and six men’s intercollegiate sports programs.
  2. Campus Recreation Center Bond Fee ($80 base); this repays bonded indebtedness on the building as well as support for the intramural, fitness, and open play/use activities.
  3. Family Development Center Bond Fee ($10 base); this repays bonded indebtedness on building as well as support for childcare operations.
  4. Family Development Center Operating Fee ($3 base); this supports programs and services.
  5. Student Activities Fee ($13 base); this supports student organizations, the student newspaper, student government operations and other student activities.
  6. Student Recreation Fee ($1 per credit hour); this supports recreation programs and activities and campus fitness center.
  7. University Center Bond Fee ($33 base plus $9.50 per credit hour); this repays bonded indebtedness on the building and supports entertainment, cultural and educational programs, and the Center’s operation.

Instructional Fees

Refunds for course or instructional fees and deposits for students who withdraw from school are made according to the refund schedules found in the Schedule of Courses for each semester or term of the academic year. A full refund of course or instructional fees and deposits for courses dropped on or before the census date is made to students who remain enrolled for at least one course.

Colleges and Schools may change the fee schedule at anytime without prior notice.

The following course and instructional fees and deposits are representative of, but not inclusive of, all fees:


All students enrolling in biology courses with laboratory components (or equivalents) will be assessed a materials fee for specimens, slides, glassware, etc.: Biology 100 level laboratory courses-$30; Biology 200 and above/laboratory courses—$50.


All students taking Information Systems or Quantitative Methods courses will be charged a $15 per credit hour fee. Students taking any other course in the College of Business will be charged a $5 per credit hour fee. The maximum fee charged to a single student in a single semester for these fees is $120.

In addition, students enrolled in online courses are assessed a $52 fee per class and students enrolled in the Professional Golf Management program will be charged a fee of $500 per semester in addition to certain course fees.


There is a total charge of $40 for each laboratory course. Independent study courses are considered to be lab courses.


A $30 laboratory fee will be assessed for each course in TV production and/or film making. Communication 350 (American Cinema) carries a fee of $20. Communication 417 carries a $30 fee.


Students enrolled in certain College of Education courses will be assessed fees ranging from$10 to $100 per course.

Engineering and Applied Sciences

All students taking courses in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences will be charged a $15 per credit hour fee. The maximum fee charged to a single student in a single semester for these fees is $180. This fee applies to all courses in the college except graduate thesis courses. These fees are nonrefundable and will be used by the departments for inventory renewal. Students are responsible and liable for damage to equipment caused by neglect, improper use, or failure to follow operating instructions.


All students enrolled in English Rhetoric and Writing and certain other courses will be assessed a $10 fee per course. English 131 will be charged a $25 fee.

Geology and Geography

Students enrolled in certain Geology or Geography courses will be assessed materials fees.

Graduate School of Public Affairs

Graduate students enrolled in online courses are assessed a $100 fee per class.

Languages and Culture

Students enrolled in lab courses, and certain other language instruction courses, will be assessed a $10 fee per course. In addition, $25 will be charged for courses with travel.

Letters, Arts and Sciences

Students enrolled in online courses are assessed a $52 fee per class. Students taking courses with field trips may be assessed a $20 trip fee.


Beth-El College of Nursing students taking nursing courses will be assessed fees ranging from$25 to $150 per course.

Physics and Energy Sciences

Students enrolled in lab courses will be assessed various fees.


Graduate students in Psychology will be charged clinical experience fees.

Visual and Performing Arts Fees

All students enrolling in any art history (ah), film(film), music (mus), theatre (thtr), or visual arts (va) course will be charged a program fee of $40 per semester enrolled, regardless of how many courses a student is registered for.

In addition, individual courses within the department will have specific fees. Please see the course schedule for these specific fees.

Credit by Examination Fee

Special examinations, given for the purpose of obtaining credit for a course solely through the passing of an examination without otherwise registering for and taking the course, are available to degree students in the university. The fee for each examination is the lower division, resident rate for 3 semester hours, regardless of the number of hours of credit that are awarded as a result of the exam. Credit is Pass/Fail ONLY.

Arrangements for special examinations are made through the Office of Admissions and Records. The fees for the examinations are payable in advance and are nonrefundable.

In cases where the examination is administered for other institutions and the results reported to that institution, the same nonrefundable fee will be assessed in advance. The individual student is responsible for payment.

Financial Aid/Student Employment


Cragmor Hall, Room201 (top floor)
(719) 262-3460
Fax (719) 262-3650
FAFSA code: 004509

The financial aid program is designed to assist students who would be unable to attend the university without aid. The university receives funding from the state of Colorado, the federal government, and private donors to meet the needs of students who can document their financial eligibility. The campus also uses its own resources to meet students’ needs.

Financial Aid

There are two basic types of financial aid available to help students meet their educational costs: need-based aid and nonneed-based aid.

Need-based Aid

Need-based aid requires sufficient documentation of financial need. See the directions in the section below entitled “How to Apply for Financial Aid.”

Need-based aid consists of grants, loans, and work-study awards.


Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Examples include the federal government’s Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, the Academic Competitiveness Grant and the National SMART Grant. Grants funded by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado include the Colorado Student Grant, the Colorado Leveraging Educational Assistance Program(federal funds are matched by the state), the Supplemental Leveraging Educational Assistance Program(federal funds are matched by the state), the Governor’s Opportunity Scholarship Program, the Colorado Graduate Grant, and the Colorado Pre-Collegiate ACG Match.


Loans are funds that have to be repaid at a future date. Examples include the Federal Perkins Loan and the Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized).


Work-study awards offer part-time, subsidized employment (approximately 10-20 hours per week) with both on-campus and selected off-campus employers. Both Federal Work-Study and Colorado Work-Study awards are available. To be eligible for work-study employment, students must apply for financial aid and receive a work-study award. Students must also be enrolled at least half-time and comply with the financial aid policy on Reasonable Academic Progress to maintain eligibility for work-study.

Note: State of Colorado funds are available only to students who qualify for resident tuition (not based upon military status or Olympic status). Both resident and nonresident students may be eligible for federal funds. See the Student Employment homepage at www.uccs.edu/~stuemp/ for more information about work-study and all student employment options.

Non-Need-based Aid

Information and applications are available on the Web at www.uccs.edu/~finaidse/.


These funds have to be repaid at a future date. An example is the Federal Stafford Loan (unsubsidized). Interest accrues immediately and can be paid quarterly or can be added on to the principal. Repayment begins six months after the student is no longer enrolled half-time.

For application information, see the section below entitled “How to Apply for Financial Aid.” While eligibility for these loans is not based on need, an applicant must first establish that he or she is not eligible for need-based aid; therefore, the financial aid application procedure described in the section entitled “How to Apply for Financial Aid”must be followed.

Colorado No-Need Work-Study

These funds are not based on financial need and offer part-time, subsidized employment (approximately 10-20 hours per week), on campus or at selected off-campus employers. Applications for no-need work study awards are available online and are due by the end of the first week of fall classes. This program is available during the fall and spring semesters only; awards are made only once, early in the fall semester.

Undergraduate degree students who are eligible for resident tuition (not military or Olympic status), who take at least six credit hours and who comply with the financial aid policy on Reasonable Academic Progress may apply for Colorado No-Need Work-Study. Students are selected for this award by a computerized random selection program.

Parent Loans

These are low interest loans that parents of dependent students may obtain to help pay the costs of attendance. The parent must qualify for credit (not have adverse credit history). The parent may apply for the full cost of attendance (as set by the Office of Financial Aid/Student Employment) for the year, minus financial aid awarded. Eligibility must be established each year. At this time, filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is not a requirement. To establish eligibility and apply for the Parent Loan to Undergraduate Students, go to www.studentloanonline.com.

How to Apply for Financial Aid?

Follow these instructions to apply for financial aid, including Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized):

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov or obtain the paper FAFSA from a high school or any college financial aid office. The process can be completed after January 1 each year. We recommend that applicants file the FAFSA no later than March 1 each year and that it is filed on the Web. The correct information must be on the UCCS Student Information System(SIS) by April 1 to meet our financial aid awarding priority date. Students must also be admitted to a degree program by that date. Meeting this priority date does not guarantee a student will receive financial aid, but he or she will be considered for all types of assistance, including need-based grants.
  2. The FAFSA analyzes family income, assets, family size, and other factors, and allows the Financial Aid Office to estimate student contribution and/or the amount your family could reasonably be expected to contribute to the student’s education. The philosophy of the student assistance programs is that the student and family have the first responsibility to pay for the educational costs. The financial aid programs are available to promote access for students/families with the least ability to pay.
  3. After the processor receives the information, the results will be sent electronically to UCCS (assuming the correct FAFSA code of 004509 was listed on the Web application or the paper form). Students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Students should carefully review, and if corrections are needed, contact the Financial Aid Office and we will make them electronically. If no corrections are needed, keep the SAR. Students are not required to submit the electronic or paper SAR to the Financial Aid Office.
  4. If students wish to apply for a Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized), follow all of the steps listed above and, in addition:
    1. Federal Stafford Loan applicants should obtain a loan application from the Financial Aid Office or on the Web at www.uccs.edu/~finaidse/formfinaid.sthml, complete it, and send it or fax it.
    2. If this is the student’s first federal student loan at UCCS, the student should complete pre-loan counseling on the Web at www.uccs. edu/~finaidse/ then click on the “Pre-Loan & Exit Counseling Online” icon. Confirmation will be sent to the Financial Aid Office electronically.
    3. Select a lender from our recommended lender list; if it is the first time the student has borrowed a Federal Stafford Loan at UCCS, certification will be done electronically and College Assist (formerly College Access) Network will contact the student to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). This note is valid for ten years if the student remains with the same lender. The timely return of the MPN to the CAN is imperative. Funds will then be applied to your student bill electronically.
    4. If the student selects a lender that is not on our list of recommended lenders, and is a first time borrower, the student must obtain the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and School Certification Form(that you get from the lender) and submit it with the lender and guarantor’s name and address to the Financial Aid Office to complete. This must be done each time you apply for a loan. Loan eligibility is certified, and funds are sent, by mail. This is a much longer process.

All correspondence will be sent to your permanent address (not your mailing address). Be sure to keep it updated in the Records Office. You may also make address changes online once you have your student PIN.

Student Employment

Cragmor Hall, room201 (top floor)
(719) 262-3460
fax (719) 262-3650

The Financial Aid/Student Employment Office offers a self referral employment service to currently enrolled students, and to students who have been accepted for the following term. Students need not document financial need to apply for these jobs; both work-study students and non-work-study (hourly) students are eligible to use the employment service. There is no charge for any of these services.

On-campus employment is available to full-time or part-time degree status students or unclassified students who are at least half-time. Additionally, during the summer, degree-seeking students may work on campus without being enrolled if they were enrolled as at least a half-time student during the previous spring semester and will return in the fall semester. Jobs are generally part-time and are listed throughout the year depending upon employer needs. The majority of openings, however, are at the beginning of each semester.

Off-campus employment, both part-time and full-time, is available throughout the year depending upon employer needs. Openings range from highly skilled technicians and computer assistants to clerical work, food service and general labor. Temporary and on-call positions in such areas as day care, tutoring, house cleaning and furniture moving are also listed. Many residential nationwide camps list openings for the summer.

Current job openings, both on and off campus, work study and non work-study, are listed on SEAN’s PLACE, a computerized student employment assistance network for students. This service is strictly self-referral, and to apply for any job the student must contact the employer directly. Students may access SEAN’s PLACE on the Web at www.uccs. edu/~stuemp.


All of the scholarships available to students are listed on the Web at http://finaide.uccs.edu/scholstart.htm. The deadline for most of the institutional scholarships is March 1 in the Financial Aid office. Postmarks will not be honored. Many of the scholarships require that students have completed the FAFSA (see above). Outside scholarship search databases (all free) are also listed on the scholarship Web page.

Temporary Assistance

The university has available a short-term loan program for students in need of temporary financial assistance (e.g., books). These loans are temporary in nature and have a maximum repayment period of one semester. The fee to borrow is $5 per $100 borrowed. Students may borrow only one loan per semester with a maximum of $700. Interested students should see a financial aid counselor in the Office of Financial Aid/Student Employment.

Student Loan Deferment

(Includes Summer Term)

All special or unclassified students seeking an enrollment deferment for student loans will be considered undergraduates for verification purposes. In order to receive a deferment as a half-time student, the student must be enrolled for six credit hours. In order to receive a deferment as a full-time student, the student must be enrolled for 12 or more credit hours. Deferment forms are available on the Web at www.nelnet.net/ or through your student loan lender. The Office of Admissions and Records certifies the student’s enrollment status.

The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students wanting a deferment as a graduate student obtain degree status in their school or college.

Student Rights and Responsibilities


Academic Honor Code

Academic honesty and integrity are vital elements of a dynamic academic institution. The responsibility for ethical conduct rests with each individual member of the academic community—students, faculty, and staff.

UCCS has an ongoing commitment to maintain and encourage academic integrity. Therefore, the university has created a set of standards of academic honesty and procedures governing violations of these principles. Copies of the UCCS Academic Honor Code document may be obtained at the Kraemer Family Library, from the offices of the deans of the various schools/colleges, from the office of the Dean of Students, or from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

Forms of Academic Dishonesty

  1. Plagiarism—use of distinctive ideas or words belonging to another person, without adequately acknowledging that person’s contribution
  2. Cheating—intentionally possessing, communicating, using, or attempting to use unauthorized (by the instructor)materials, information, notes, study aids, or other devices, in any academic exercise
  3. Fabrication and Falsification—intentional and unauthorized alteration or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise
  4. Multiple Submission—submission of substantial portions of either written or oral academic work which has previously earned credit, when such submission is made without instructor authorization
  5. Misuse of Academic Materials—intentionally or knowingly destroying, stealing, or making inaccessible, library or other academic resource material
  6. Complicity in Academic Dishonesty—intentionally or knowingly contributing to the academic dishonesty of another

These examples of academic dishonesty shall not be construed to be comprehensive, and infractions will be dealt with on an individual basis. It is the obligation of each student to assist in the enforcement of academic standards; infractions— whether by students or faculty—should be first brought to the attention of the instructor.

Detailed instructions about reporting a suspected infraction; appealing an alleged infraction; and applying sanctions for infractions are outlined in the UCCS Academic Honor Code document. Questions about the academic honor code should be addressed to the Dean of Students,Main Hall, room322, (719) 262-3258.

Affirmative Action

Main Hall, Room414A
(719) 262-3820

UCCS follows a policy of equal opportunity in education and employment. In pursuance of this policy, no campus department, unit, discipline, or employee shall discriminate against an individual or group on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin, individual handicap or veteran status. This policy applies to all areas of the university affecting present and prospective students or employees.

The institution’s educational programs, activities, and services offered to students and/or employees are nondiscriminatory and consistent with State affirmative action guidelines, as well as with Federal laws and orders.

For information about these provisions on equity, discrimination, or fairness, as well as internal and external complaint procedures, contact the Affirmative Action Office.

Attendance Guidelines

Students are expected to attend all meetings of classes for which they are registered, including the first and last scheduled meetings and the final examination period. Instructors hold the right and responsibility to establish attendance policies for their courses. Each instructor must inform all classes in writing at the beginning of each semester concerning his/her attendance policies.

If attendance affects course grades, students must be provided with explicit written information concerning that fact no later than the end of the first week of classes. Such information shall be specific with regard to the penalty incurred for each absence and the means, if any, to compensate for the absence.

It is recognized that there may be certain situations where the student may not be permitted to make up the absence(s). Students participating in university-sanctioned activities should consult with instructors prior to registration, but no later than the end of the first week of classes, to determine the class attendance policy. At this time, the student should provide the instructor with a schedule of planned absences, preferably signed by the university official directing the activity, in order to allow the instructor to evaluate and advise the student on the possible impact of the planned absences. In this case, the instructor will consider absences due to participation in approved university activities, as outlined above, to be excused absences, on par with those due to other unavoidable circumstances such as illness.

Faculty judge the validity of student absences from class and may require documentation for excused absences. For classes requiring mandatory attendance incompatible with the number of planned absences, students will be advised to register, if possible, during a semester in which they will not be participating in the university-sanctioned activity. As with any academic issue, students may exercise their right to appeal adverse attendance decisions. Should the instructor and student be unable to agree on appropriate accommodation under this policy, either party shall have the right to request mediation from(in this order) the department chair, the academic dean, and the vice chancellor for academic affairs.

Colorado Rioting Act

No person who is convicted of a riot offense shall be enrolled in a state-supported institution of higher education for a period of twelvemonths following the date of conviction.

A student who is enrolled in a state-supported institution of higher education and who is convicted of a riot offense shall be immediately suspended from the institution upon the institution’s notification of such conviction for a period of twelvemonths following the date of conviction; except that if a student has been suspended prior to the date of conviction by the state-supported institution of higher education for the same riot activity, the twelvemonth suspension shall run from the start of the suspension imposed by the institution. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit a state-supported institution of higher education from implementing its own policies and procedures for disciplinary actions, in addition to the suspension regarding students involved in riots stipulated above (Colorado Revised Statues, 23-5-124).

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Annual Notice to Students: The University of Colorado complies fully with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. The act was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records in all offices, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the FERPA office concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the act.

Local guidelines explain in detail the procedures to be used by the institution for compliance with the provisions of the act. Copies of the guidelines can be found in the Admissions and Records Office.

The Admissions and Records Office has been designated by the institution to coordinate the inspection and review of student education records located in various university offices. Students wishing to review their education records must come to the Admissions and Records Office and present proper identification. All other records inquiries must be directed to the proper office, i.e., financial aid, bursar, etc.

Students may not inspect the following, as outlined by the act: financial information submitted by their parents, confidential letters that they have waived their rights to review, or education records containing information about more than one student, in which case the institution will permit access only to that part of the record that pertains to the inquiring student. Records that may be inspected include admissions, academic, and financial aid files, and cooperative education and placement records.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are as follows:

  1. The right to inspect and review education records within 45 days of the day the university receives their request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the educational record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify them of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise them of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of students’ education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading. They may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to them when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent for disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit, personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; a student employee; or a student serving on an official committee, or one assisting another school official in performing his or her task. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the university discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    The Family Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    600 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605
    (202) 260-3887

The following items of student information have been designated by the University of Colorado as public or “directory” information: name,mailing and permanent addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail address, dates of attendance, registration status, class, previous educational institutions attended,major field of study, awards, honors, degree(s) conferred, past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, physical factors (height and weight) of athletes, prior schools attended, date and place of birth. Such information may be disclosed by the institution at its discretion.

Sexual Harassment Office

Main Hall, Room414D
(719) 262-3678

Sexual Harassment Policy

UCCS is a collegial academic community whose mission requires an open learning and working environment that values and protects individual dignity. UCCS’ educational process is based upon mutual trust, freedom of inquiry, freedom of expression, and the absence of intimidation and exploitation.

As a place of work and study,UCCS must be free of inappropriate and disrespectful conduct and communication of a sexual nature, of sexual harassment, and of all forms of sexual intimidation and exploitation. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment, living conditions and/or academic evaluation; when submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis of employment or academic decisions affecting such individual; or when such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonable interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working or educational environment.

Any person who desires information, has questions about procedures, or feels that he/she may have been sexually harassed is encouraged to speak with the Sexual Harassment Officer. Copies of the university Policy on Sexual Harassment are available on the campus Web site, www. uccs.edu, from the campus Sexual Harassment Officer, and inmost offices on campus.

Standards of Conduct

Dean of Students
Main Hall, room322
(719) 262-3258

UCCS has established a code of conduct to maintain the general welfare of the university community. The university strives to make the campus a place of study, work, and residence where people are treated with civility, respect, and courtesy. Admission to the university carries with it the expectation that students will be responsible members of the campus community. This includes respecting the personal safety and individual rights of all in the university community, acting in accordance with accepted standards of social behavior, and abiding by the regulations of the university and the laws of the city, state, and nation. The Standards of Conduct clearly state the university’s expectations for student behavior.

Students are expected to become familiar with these standards and fully understand their responsibility as university community members.


The Standards of Conduct apply to all students at UCCS, regardless of designation, program, or residence. These regulations apply primarily to misconduct on university premises; however, off-campus violations that may impact the university’s mission fall under the jurisdiction of the Office of Student Conduct and may lead to disciplinary action. Students may be held accountable to both civil and criminal authorities as well as to the university, by breaking a law that also violates the university standards. Disciplinary action by the university will not be subject to challenge or postponement on the grounds that criminal charges involving the same incident have been dismissed, reduced, or are pending in any state or federal judicial system. In addition, the university can pursue disciplinary action if a student violates a standard of conduct and then withdraws from the university.


Standards of conduct help promote a safe and civilized campus environment. All students enrolled at UCCS are required to abide by these standards, or they will be subject to discipline. An attempt to commit an act prohibited by these standards, or attempts to aid, abet, or incite others to commit acts prohibited by these standards, are subject to discipline to the same extent as a completed act. Similar standards of conduct apply to other members of the university community— faculty, staff, and visitors.

Prohibited acts are enumerated at www.uccs.edu/student conduct/. Allegations of any violations should be directed to the Office of Student Conduct for resolution.


Any member of the university community may file a written complaint with the Office of Student Conduct alleging that a student has violated the Standards of Conduct. The complaint must include a statement of the facts describing the alleged violation. The Office will not accept anonymous complaints. The Office may also initiate charges. Upon receipt of a complaint, the Office decides whether there is substance to the complaint; whether the complaint falls within the jurisdiction of the Standards of Conduct; and whether disciplinary proceedings should occur. In order to make this determination, the Office may need to gather additional information about the incident.

Rights and Responsibilities

The Standards of Conduct document details the rights and responsibilities of students accused of misconduct as well as victims of alleged student misconduct.

Additional Information

Questions regarding behavioral issues should be directed to the Dean of Students Office.

Student Appeals

The university has established systematic procedures for students who believe that inappropriate decisions have been made that affect them. Academic issues (for example, graduation requirements or course grades) should be addressed to the office of the dean of the appropriate school/ college. Appeals of administrative actions (for example, financial aid awards or parking tickets) should be directed to the office who made that decision. Advice and assistance on appeal procedures are available from the Dean of Students, Room322, Main Hall, 262-3258. There is a one-year statute of limitations on appeals concerning financial matters.

Student Bill of Rights

The Colorado legislature has passed a Bill of Rights for students at public institutions of higher education.



Residence Life

Monarch House (719) 262-4042
E-mail: housing@uccs.edu

UCCS residence housing is home to 900 students; all facilities are just a short distance from all campus classroom buildings and facilities. On campus, the Summit Village Residence Halls and the Alpine Village Apartments provide housing options for many of our students.

All rooms include full bath, cable television, telephone service, and high-speed Internet. All pricing for the Summit Village Residence Halls also includes a choice of several meal options.

For fall 2008, all housing will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. We encourage all applicants to apply early for the best selection of rooms. Housing agreements are available for the full academic year, as well as the summer term, so students are able to stay on campus the entire calendar year.

Please see http://web.uccs.edu/housing, or visit Monarch House for further details of all of our housing options.

Off Campus Housing

ROAR office
University Center, first level
(719) 262-3470
E-mail: ROAR@uccs.edu

The off campus housing referral service, including listings of rooms, apartments, and houses, as well as students seeking roommates to share their accommodations, is maintained by the Refuge for Organizations, Activities and Recreation (ROAR) office located across from the Information Desk in the University Center.

Public Safety


Public Safety and Student Health Building
(719) 262-3528 (parking) or (719) 262-3111 (police)

The Department of Public Safety is comprised of Police Operations and Communications, Parking and Transportation, Environmental Health and Safety, and Emergency Preparedness.

911 Emergencies

on campus: 9-911

An “emergency” refers to any situation where there is an immediate danger to life or health of an individual, or individuals, on campus. Emergencies may be related to fires, chemical releases,medical problems or a wide variety of other events. For life-threatening emergencies on campus, call 9-911. All other calls for police services, including crime reporting, should be made by calling 262-3111.

Campus Closure

(719) 262-3346

In the event that the campus is closed due to weather or other reasons, the information will be available by calling the above number. Information is also available on Colorado Springs television and radio stations and the Internet by accessing http://www.newsbridge.net/Univ_Colo_at_Colo_Springs/.

Photo Identification

(719) 262-3450

The University Center provides the UCCS photo ID card that all fee-paying students, faculty and staff are required to have. This card is required to check out material from the Kraemer Family Library, cash checks on campus, take advantage of special student prices for software or events, or gain admittance into sensitive areas of the campus.

All new students and most transfer students will be automatically billed for an ID card, whether or not a card is made. Transfer students from other CU campuses are not automatically billed for an ID and must pay for the ID at the time it is made. Photo ID cards should be made and claimed in the semester during which the automatic charge is made. Individuals requiring a replacement ID card must pay $15 at the time the card is made. ID photos are taken anytime that the University Center Information Desk is open. Please check the University Center Web site for specific hours at http://web.uccs.edu/uc/.

Police Operations and Communications

(719) 262-3111

The Department of Public Safety maintains a full-service police operation to respond to reports of criminal acts and emergencies on campus. Police officers are certified peace officers with the state of Colorado. The Department of Public Safety Office is also responsible for responding to all incidents that occur on campus involving police, parking, traffic, fire prevention and protection, environmental health and safety, emergency disaster coordination and chemical materials management. The Police Dispatch Center is a full-time operation, 24/7-365 days a year.

In compliance with the Clery Act, the University Police publishes the UCCS Safety and Security Report in September of every year. Crime statistics listed in this pamphlet reflect reported crime only and are for calendar years January through December. The document is available on line at www.uccs.edu/~pusafety/safety/

In addition, Public Safety provides several community services upon request:

  1. Motorist assists: dead battery jump-starts, retrieval of keys from locked vehicles, etc.
  2. Safety escorts to and/or from vehicles or buildings
  3. Lost and Found Service

Environmental Health and Safety

(719) 262-3201

Environmental Health and Safety provides safety information, specialization, review, inspection, and recommendations on the plans for environmental safety on the campus. Services include the following areas: fire protection, occupational safety, laboratory safety, regulated waste disposal and others as required.

Emergency Preparedness

(719) 262-3838

Emergency Preparedness is guided by the overriding goals to protect life and secure critical infrastructure and facilities. These goals are met through the development of teaching, research, and emergency plans (both floor and building) to address disasters and infectious diseases.

Information Technology


IT Help Desk

El Pomar Center, first floor
(719) 262-3536

All university students, staff, and faculty receive computer accounts that give theme-mail and allow them to access the campus network from on- and off-campus. Information on computers, accounts, network access, etc. can be obtained from the IT Help Desk in the El Pomar Center.

Open Computer Labs

Kraemer Family Library
El Pomar Center, second floor
(719) 262-3422

The Kraemer Family Library open computer lab contains Windows and Macintosh computers. Group study rooms contain two Windows computers each plus additional ports for laptop use. For students who use wheelchairs there are six computers (four Macintosh and two Windows computers) on higher desks. Those needing further assistance with computers, other than what is provided in the open labs, should access the Assistive Technology Lab.

The Assistive Technology Lab is available for users with disabilities during all hours the library is open. All students, staff, and faculty with a documented disability should receive training on how to operate special equipment and software through Disability Services. Please contact Ida Dilwood at Disability Services at (719) 262-3354,Main Hall 105, if you have questions about documentation and/or training

A Multimedia Development Lab is available for graphics and video processing. Digital still cameras and digital video cameras are available for check-out at the IT Help Desk on the first floor of the El Pomar Center.

Columbine Hall Open Lab
(719) 262-4229
The Columbine lab contains Windows and Macintosh computers.

Computerized Classrooms

The IT Department provides several classrooms across campus with computing capabilities. Some are computerized classrooms with an average of 25 computers for student use. Others have a podium with a computer, DVD/VCR, and projection capabilities to enhance lectures by allowing the integration of multimedia presentations.

E-Mail Policy

  1. UCCS use of e-mail. E-mail is an official means for communication within the university. Therefore, the university has the right to send communications to students via e-mail and the right to expect that those communications will be received and read in a timely fashion.
  2. Assignment of student e-mail addresses. Information Technology (IT) will assign all students an official UCCS e-mail address at the time registration is confirmed (after the down payment). It is to this official address that the university will send e-mail communications.
  3. Redirecting of e-mail. A student may have e-mail electronically redirected to another e-mail address. If a student wishes, he or she may have e-mail redirected from his or her official address to another e-mail address (e.g., @aol.com, @hotmail.com, or an address on a departmental server), but at his or her own risk. UCCS will not be responsible for the handling of e-mail by outside vendors or by departmental servers. Having e-mail redirected does not absolve a student from the responsibilities associated with communication sent to his or her official e-mail address.
  4. Expectations regarding student use of e-mail. Students are expected to check their official e-mail address on a frequent and consistent basis in order to stay current with university communications. UCCS recommends checking e-mail once a week at a minimum in that certain communications may be time-critical.
  5. Educational uses of e-mail. Faculty may determine how e-mail will be used in their classes. It is highly recommended that if faculty have e-mail requirements and expectations, they specify these requirements in their course syllabi. Faculty may expect that students’ official e-mail addresses are being accessed and faculty may use e-mail for their courses accordingly.
  6. Appropriate use of student e-mail. In general, e-mail is not appropriate for transmitting sensitive or confidential information unless its use for such purposes is matched by an appropriate level of security.
    1. All use of e-mail, including use for sensitive or confidential information, will be consistent with the Policy Statement on use of e-mail posted on the IT Web page—www.uccs.edu/it.
    2. Confidentiality regarding student records is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). All use of e-mail, including use for sensitive or confidential information, will be consistent with FERPA.
    3. E-mail shall not be the sole method for notification of any legal action.


(719) 262-3281

CU-NET Courses

UCCS offers live, interactive, credit-bearing classes over the CU-NET instructional television system. CU-NET broadcast classes are regular courses and off campus students will have access to the instructor through a standard telephone connection. Off-campus students will be expected to follow the same syllabus and meet the same course requirements as in-class students.

Course offerings vary semester-to-semester. CU-NET classes are available to adult learners over Comcast. Anyone subscribing to Comcast will receive the classes as part of their basic service; however, to receive credit for classes, students must enroll through the Extended Studies division of the College offering the course.

A three-campus network provides video, voice and data transmission among the campuses and supports, in addition to academic courses, administrative teleconferencing and professional development training.


CU-NET provides professional teleconferencing services to the campus community and public and private enterprises in the Pikes Peak Region. Down-linking services are available on campus. Up-linking services are not currently available.

Student Academic Resources, Opportunities and Programs


Academic Learning Centers

EXCEL Centers


Project EXCEL is a program designed to help students achieve academic success during their collegiate careers. The activities and support services of Project EXCEL are provided to students via five learning centers located across the campus. The Centers provide programs that are linked to and support the academic curriculum across the campus. Refer to the Internet for hours of operation or contact each of the following Centers directly.

Language Technology Center
Dwire Hall, room 270
(719) 262-3690
Fax (719) 262-4162

Mathematics Learning Center
Engineering Building, room 129
(719) 262-3687
Fax (719) 262-3605

Oral Communication Center
Columbine Hall, room 312
(719) 262-4770

Science/Health Science Learning Center
Science Building, room 145
Fax: (719) 262-3047
(719) 262-3689

Writing Center
Columbine Hall, room 316
(719) 262-4336

Engineering Learning Centers

ECE Help Center
ENG, room 232
(719) 262-3187|

MAE Help Center
UH, room233C
(719) 262-3323

CS Help Sessions
ENG, room199


Department of Military Science
Eagle Rock Building 201
(719) 262-3520

The Army Reserve Officers Training Corps program is available to UCCS students. Enrollment in the basic courses (100/200 level) is available to all full-time students. Enrollment in advanced courses (300/400 level) is open to juniors and seniors who have successfully completed all basic courses or LTC (Leader’s Training Course), or to veterans at any level. All students should be academically aligned between their ROTC level and academic level (i.e., a freshman should enroll in freshman ROTC classes). Scholarships are available to qualified students. Completion of the ROTC program leads to a commission as an officer in the United States Army, Army National Guard or Army Reserve upon graduation. A minor in Military Science is available. Interested students are encouraged to consult with the Department of Military Science.

Chancellor’s Leadership Class

Main Hall, room 318
(719) 262-3065

The Chancellor’s Leadership Class is a leadership development program for the undergraduate student that focuses on leadership studies, applied leadership experience, community involvement, personal and professional development, and mentoring. Visit the CLCWeb site www.uccs.edu/clc for an application and more information.

National Student Exchange

Columbine Hall, room 2025
(719) 262-4552

The National Student Exchange (NSE) is an undergraduate exchange program within the United States, Canada, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Instead of crossing oceans,NSE students cross state, regional, provincial, and cultural borders. Currently there are over 250 colleges and universities participating with UCCS in this exchange program. Students may exchange for one semester or an entire year. Participating in NSE can be exhilarating, culturally enriching, and one of the most significant experiences of an undergraduate education. Visit the campus NSE Web site www.uccs.edu/las/NSE for an application and more information.

Pre-Collegiate Development Program

Main Hall, room 303
(719) 262-3239

Through the Pre-Collegiate Development Program, UCCS has entered into a partnership with public schools in the Pikes Peak region, including Pueblo schools, to help prepare under-represented and first generation college students to be competitive for college entrance upon graduation from high school.

The program consists of leadership development, higher education awareness, and planning necessary to attain a higher education degree, accomplished through Saturday Academy workshops and summer program courses for college credit. Students remain in the program until they graduate from high school. The program is for secondary students in grades 9 through 12, with a middle school program that serves students in grades 7 and 8.

Campus Facilities



University Center, lower level
(719) 262-3247

The Bookstore caters to the special needs of the academic community. The educational pursuits and the professionalism of the students, faculty, and staff dictate a full service store offering required course materials, optional course materials, self-help guides, software, and computer accessories, as well as best sellers, general reading books, cards, posters, clothing and gift items, including Mountain Lions insignia items, school supplies and much more. For convenience, personal checks with proper identification,MasterCard and Visa cards are accepted.

The Bookstore is open year-round, five days a week with special hours at the beginning of fall, spring, and summer terms. In special situations, the hours may vary.


Required and optional course materials are available in the Bookstore. Each course taught is identified by its shelf tag listing course information and arranged according to department, course number, and section. Some used books are available for most classes. Used books sell for 25 percent less than a new book’s list price. Textbook reservations and online purchases are available on our Web site.

Convenience Store

University Center, lower level

The Convenience Store provides additional products to meet the needs of students, including items such as snacks, grocery items, personal products and more.

Family Development Center

(719) 262-3483

The Family Development Center provides quality, affordable preschool programs and child care for university families and the community at large. We offer educational programs for children ranging in age from one year (and walking) to ten years.

The Center maintains a staff of highly qualified and caring teachers. The activities in the classrooms are planned by professional lead teachers trained in early childhood/child development. Lead teachers are assisted by additional teachers and aides. The Center strives to meet the standards for low child/staff ratios adopted by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

The Center is open Monday through Friday. Rates are competitive, with discounts and some scholarships available for UCCS students.

Enrollment is limited and is on a first come, first served basis, with priority given to UCCS students. Phone or visit the Center for further enrollment information.

Kraemer Family Library

El Pomar Center
(719) 262-3296

The Kraemer Family Library supports learning, teaching and research activities of the students and faculty by providing a diverse collection of more than one million items and offering a wide array of information services. These services include a comprehensive library instruction program, electronic data bases, and interlibrary loan and reference services. Access to a wide variety of electronic resources and the library’s online catalog is available through the library Web page.

The library is housed in El Pomar Center. Library services are available 90 hours per week during the regular semesters. Individual study carrels, computer labs,multimedia development labs, group study rooms, and copy machines are available. Special equipment and software are available to assist the hearing and visually impaired to gain access to library materials.

Library users have access to the library’s collection of 439,000 book volumes, 726,000 microformv olumes, 11,000 maps, and 7,400media items. These items include 925 paper and 27,000 electronic journal titles as well as U.S. and Colorado government documents. In addition, students and faculty have access to the collections of many of the state’s other academic libraries through personal visits, shared electronic catalogs, or interlibrary loan. The library’s interlibrary loan agreements also provide students and faculty with access to the collections of most of the libraries in the U.S. and other countries.

Print Shop

Campus Services Building, room 230
(719) 262-3213

The Print Shop offers full service printing and copying, including color copies, binding laminating and faxing services to students, faculty, and staff.

University Center

(719) 262-3450

The University Center is the community center for the university, serving students, staff, faculty, administration, and guests. The University Center complements the academic programs by providing support for out-of-classroom experiences through an extensive array of cultural, recreational, social and educational programs. The University Center is guided by a student-centered organization that values participatory decision making and volunteerism. The University Center provides programs through the services and facilities that are within the Center: Refuge for Organizations, Activities and Recreation (ROAR), including the Office of Campus Activities, Student Government Association and Student Organizations, Recreational Sports, The Scribe, Information Desk, Intercollegiate Athletics,Meeting Rooms, Lounges, Game Room, Overlook Snack Bar, Bookstore, Convenience Store, and Copy Center.

The University Center is supported by mandatory student fees. These fees finance repayment of the bond debt, and support entertainment, cultural and educational programs and services not supported by the university’s general fund. The University Center fees are $33 base per head and $9.50 per credit hour.

Student and Alumni Services


Alumni Relations

Main Hall, room 401B
(719) 262-3180
E-mail: alumni@uccs.edu

In the spirit of educational advancement, the Alumni and Friends Association and the Office of Alumni Relations strive to be the central link between the University and its alumni. The Alumni Association promotes and fosters a lasting and mutually beneficial relationship between the alumni, the university, its students, and the community to support the mission, goals, and traditions of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

Counseling and Testing Center

Main Hall, room 324
(719) 262-3265

The University Counseling Center (UCC) helps students maximize their learning experiences. When students have difficulties with personal issues, career indecision, or relationship problems, academic achievement may suffer. The UCC exists to help students with these issues, using short-term therapy approaches. There is no charge for initial or emergency sessions. There is a nominal fee for on-going group or individual sessions.

The UCC provides the following:

  1. Individual, couples, family and group counseling to help students address personal problems experienced while enrolled at the university
  2. Workshops that address mental health needs and academic skill needs of students
  3. Consultation services for faculty, staff and students
  4. Mental health information and referral services.

Testing services include:

  1. American College Test (ACT) Residual. An entrance exam for undergraduates. The results are valid for admission to the CU system only. Cost is $40.
  2. Correspondence Exams. There may be a charge
  3. Graduate Record Exams (GRE)-subject based. An entrance exam for graduate programs. Visit www.gre.org to register and pay.
  4. Miller Analogies Test (MAT). An entrance exam for graduate programs. Cost is $70.
  5. Reasoning Skills Test: an exam used to satisfy the LAS Quantitative and Qualitative Reasoning Skills Requirements. Cost is $20.
  6. Other national standardized testing.

The testing center also provides on campus proctoring for make up exams and exam proctoring for those students who may need extra time or a less stimulating environment, at the discretion of the professor.

For information, costs, and scheduling, call (719) 262-3265.

CU Opportunity Program (CUOP)

University Center, room 110
(719) 262-3040
E-mail: acordova@uccs.edu

CUOP is a special program that seeks to provide equal educational opportunity for students who have not traditionally been part of the university environment. The program strives to recruit, admit, retain, and graduate historically underrepresented students.

The primary focus of CUOP is to increase the historically underrepresented student population, which includes ethnic minorities, first generation, and economically or academically disadvantaged students. However, it is also CUOP policy not to exclude anyone showing a need for the services offered by the program. The program has a cooperative relationship with the office of admissions, financial aid and academic departments. This relationship allows the staff to be available to assist CUOP students who experience difficulties in any of these areas. Admission applications for students in this program are reviewed and recommendations are made to the Office of Admissions on a case-by-case basis. Interested students should contact the CUOP coordinator, preferably before admission to the university.

Dean of Students

Main Hall, room 322
(719) 262-3258
E-mail: dos@uccs.edu

The Office of the Dean of Students serves as a link between individual students, student government, and the various academic and administrative offices of the university. The Dean of Students and the Dean’s staff serve as advocates for students’ interests and needs to the rest of the university. Students who have a suggestion or concern should contact the office.

Disability Services

Main Hall, room105
(719) 262-3354 V/TTY
E-mail: dservice@uccs.edu

The purpose of the Disability Service Office (DSO) is to provide students with disabilities reasonable accommodations and support services to participate fully in the academic environment. Documentation is assessed under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and DS requirements. Students with a disability that requires accommodations in the academic environment should call the Disability Services Office for an appointment to discuss needs and available services.

International Student Services

Main Hall, Room 104
(719) 262-3238 or (719) 262-3819

International Student Services serves as an advocate for foreign students attending or planning to attend UCCS by identifying services and programs that can assist in meeting their needs. This unit promotes, supports, and develops any activity that brings about a cross-cultural understanding and sensitivity on campus. The unit is responsible for providing current and future international students with information and services available to them on campus and in the surrounding community.

Student Health Center

Public Safety and Student Health Building
(719) 262-4444
Fax: (719) 262-4446
E-mail: hlthcntr@uccs.edu


The Student Health Center provides convenient and affordable access to quality medical care for eligible students. Medical insurance is not required to be seen for an appointment.

The Center provides health care services 40 hours per week during fall/spring semesters, including Monday evening hours, and abbreviated hours for all breaks and summer semester. Services include, but are not limited to, diagnosis and treatment of minor injuries and illnesses, administration of MMR and other vaccines, routine gynecological exams, birth control consultation, health education, and referral to community health resources as needed. Limited lab work and medication are also available on site. For additional information please visit our Web site.

Immunization Requirement

The Colorado Department of Health and Environment requires any student who 1) is enrolled for one or more classes at a college or university, 2) is physically present at the institution, including auditing classes but excluding correspondence/ distance learning classes, and 3) is born January 1, 1957 or later, to be immunized against Rubeola measles, Rubella, measles and mumps (MMR), or provide documented proof of immunity to all three. Individuals born before January 1, 1957 are presumed immune and are exempt from the immunization requirement.

In order to comply with this State law, students must do one of four things:

  1. Provide a copy of documentation from a health care professional that you have met the requirements of two MMR immunizations. Records must include month, day and year of each shot, an official signature or stamp or official letterhead. Note: obtain CERTIFIED records from your former college, high school, doctor’s office, military records or family (certified) records.
  2. Provide a copy of proof of immunity by blood lab tests for the Rubeola measles,mumps and Rubella measles.
  3. Request an exemption from the law on personal, religious or medical grounds.
  4. Get two MMR immunizations (30 days apart) immediately.

Bring (or fax to 719-262-4403) a copy of immunization records to the Health Center. The Health Center will assist students in complying with this state law. MMR immunizations are available at a reduced cost at the Health Center; call for an appointment. Students may also receive the immunizations from their personal health care provider or county health department.

Student Health Insurance

Information on Student Health Insurance is available through the Dean of Students Office.

Student Multicultural Affairs and Outreach

University Center, Room 110
(719) 262-3040
E-mail: sma@uccs.edu or acordova@uccs.edu

The office of Student Multicultural Affairs promotes a campus environment that is inclusive and supportive of students from diverse cultural backgrounds. The office works with student organizations and campus departments to provide activities and programs that celebrate cultural diversity. The director and the assistant coordinator serve as advocates for students from under represented populations. However, it is also Student Multicultural Affairs policy not to exclude anyone showing a need for the services offered by the program. The program has a cooperative relationship with the office of admissions, financial aid and academic departments. This relationship allows the staff to be available to assist students who experience difficulties in any of these areas. Interested students should contact the office at (719) 262-3040 or (719) 262-3319.

Office of Veteran Affairs and Military Student Affairs

Main Hall, room 101
(719) 262-3253

The University of Colorado At Colorado Springs is dedicated to assisting all students reach their educational goals while serving our country. The mission of the Office of Veteran and Military Student Affairs (OVMSA) is to assist veterans, active duty military, and all students eligible for military education benefits.

Veteran Education Benefits

The office is supervised by the University and is bound to complete documentation and maintain records according to the guidelines of the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) and the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veteran Education and Training.

Military Tuition Assistance

Military tuition assistance varies per branch of military service. OVSMA is a valuable resource to guide military students in the utilization of education benefits.


Students eligible for VA benefits or tuition assistance must complete the appropriate paperwork. A student must be registered in classes before certification is processed. All students receiving benefits must complete a course load worksheet each semester. All first-time students must visit the OVMSA in person.

Military Activation

A student in the armed forces who is given orders to deploy, relocate or go on temporary duty (TDY) should contact the OVMSA. After presentation of orders, the OVMSA will assist these students with communication with applicable departments and professors. Students will need to complete the deployment checklist at http://www.uccs.edu/~deploy.

Student Athletics, Recreational Programs, and Organizations


Intercollegiate Athletics

University Center, third floor
(719) 262-3601

 The Intercollegiate Athletic program at UCCS seeks to carry out its primary mission of developing exemplary student athletes who participate in the total spectrum of university life. Exemplary student athletes play intercollegiate sports and also focus on education, good character, no substance abuse, leadership and goals.

To that end, UCCS sponsors thirteen varsity sports that compete at the NCAA Division II level in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC). Varsity sports include men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross-country, men’s and women’s indoor/outdoor track, women’s volleyball, women’s fast-pitch softball, men’s and women’s soccer and men’s golf.

The UCCS Mountain Lion volleyball and basketball teams compete in the “Lion’s Den”, a 400 seat gymnasium located on the second floor of the University Center in the heart of the campus. The softball team plays at the Mountain Lion Field located at the 4-Diamond Complex on Nevada Avenue, just north of Austin Bluffs. The soccer team plays at Mountain Lion Stadium. The UCCS men’s golf team plays at local golf clubs.

UCCS offers athletic scholarships that are awarded on an individual basis by the head coaches of each of the varsity sports according to the NCAA guidelines.

Campus Recreation Department

UCCS Campus Recreation Center
between Summit Village and Alpine Village

The Campus Recreation Department provides a variety of programs, facilities, and services that support the leisure and wellness needs of UCCS students, faculty, and staff.

Campus Recreation Center

The newly opened Campus Recreation Center is available to all currently enrolled students, as well as faculty, staff, and alumni members, and features 54,000 square feet of recreation space that includes a two court gymnasium with an elevated indoor running track; an indoor aquatic center featuring lap lanes, leisure areas, a drop slide, and a hot tub; an expanded fitness area with state-of-the-art free weights,machine weights, and cardiovascular equipment; an aerobics/dance studio; a multi-purpose meeting room; an outdoor equipment rental and resources center; a bouldering wall; and café.

Campus Recreation Office

Housed in the Recreation Center, the Campus Recreation Office oversees recreational programs and services which include the following:

  • Intramural Sports: Broad recreational and competitive opportunities are provided through team and individual sports and events, including flag football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, table tennis, billiards, inner tube water polo, and softball.
  • Club Sports: University approved clubs sponsor instructional, recreational, and competitive programs for their members. Currently active clubs include baseball, soccer, hockey, lacrosse, racquetball, karate, cheerleading, dance, kendo, and ultimate frisbee.
  • Fitness and Conditioning: Students have access to the fitness center as well as a number of other programs and services designed to help increase personal fitness, including group conditioning and aerobics classes, aqua fitness classes, personal training, fitness assessment, and pre-created circuit workouts.
  • Student Outdoor Leadership Adventures (SOLE): Many outings are offered to students, including hiking, backpacking, camping,mountain biking, snowshoeing, canoeing, rock climbing, or avalanche clinics. Also available to help facilitate outdoor travels and adventures are a full array of outdoor equipment for rent as well as trip planning resources.
  • Aquatics: The pool is open to those looking to swim some laps or just relax in the leisure area or hot tub. Aquatic related programming includes swim lessons, aqua fitness classes, intramural aquatic events, water safety classes, kayak instruction, and dive in movies.

Refuge for Organizations, Activities and Recreation (ROAR)

University Center, first level
(719) 262-3470
E-mail: ROAR@uccs.edu

The Refuge for Organizations,Activities and Recreation (ROAR), located across from the University Center Information Desk, is the students’ doorway to campus life!

Through involvement in one or more of the areas within ROAR, students are guaranteed to grow personally,make lifelong friendships, develop valuable lifetime skills, have input into the programs and services offered, contribute to the present and future of the university, and have great fun in the process.

Office of Campus Activities (OCA)

University Center, Room 104
(719) 262-3540
E-mail: oca@uccs.edu

The Office of Campus Activities (OCA) is the primary programming office for student events on campus and is led by one president and two vice presidents who are student employees; eight other students are employed as the council chairs. OCA’s mission statement is “Leading & Learning Together…Creating community through entertainment, enrichment, and inclusion.” The UCCS community is encouraged to be involved in the selection and production of events. OCA provides a great way to meet people, learn and build upon skills, and explore career opportunities.

A few traditional events sponsored by OCA include the ROAR Rally, Back to the Bluffs, DisOrientation Week, Adopt-a-Mountain Lion Campaign, ROAR Daze, and Talent Night. Most events are free to students and open to the entire UCCS community. For more information, call (719) 262-3128 or (719) 262-3532, or come by the office.

Student Government and Student Organizations

University Center
(719) 262-3470

All students at UCCS are automatically members of the Student Government Association, the official voice of the student body. Student Government provides a wide variety of activities and services. For more information call or visit the office in ROAR, UC Room102.

In addition, there are more than 120 student clubs and organizations at UCCS. They include academic, social, religious, sports, political, honorary, and special interest organizations. Enjoy the satisfaction of being part of a group and getting things done,meeting people with similar interests, and developing leadership skills. For information about how to join an organization or to form a new organization, students are encouraged to call or come by the ROAR Office or check out the Web site at www.uccs.edu/~sga/clubs.html.