Jan 18, 2021
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics is a traditional degree in mathematics. Most students choose this degree in order to prepare for a career as a mathematics teacher or to prepare for a graduate program in pure mathematics.
- Completion of at least 42 hours of required mathematics courses
- A minimum 2.0 on each required mathematics course
- A minimum CU cumulative GPA of 2.0
- An Exit Interview with the Mathematics department is required prior to graduation.
- Prepare students for employment or graduate study in a mathematically related area
Learning Outcomes, Mathematics, BA
- Be able to analyze problems and formulate appropriate mathematical models
- Understand mathematical techniques and how they apply
- Recognize phenomena and be able to abstract; generalize and specialize these patterns in order to analyze them mathematically
- Be able to express oneself in writing and orally in an articulate, sound and well-organized fashion
- Be able to use, verify, and check well-known techniques of calculation
(42 semester hours)
LAS General Education Requirements for Math BA Students
Mathematics BA students should include PHIL 3440 - Symbolic Logic in their selection of Humanities area general education courses.
Mathematics BA students should select from the LAS Natural Sciences area general education courses.
Mathematics BA students should select from the LAS Social Sciences area general education courses.
Mathematics BA students should complete
Mathematics BA students should take a number of courses in computer science to prepare them for the various career options in mathematics. Foreign languages are encouraged for students interested in research.
Mathematics BA, Secondary Teaching Option
(42 semester hours)
There is an option for Mathematics Secondary Teaching. Students should contact an advisor in the College of Education as soon as possible to construct a schedule of their required education courses for this option. See also www.uccs.edu/~uccsteach/.
BA-Secondary Teaching Course Requirements
LAS General Education Requirements for Math BA-Secondary Teaching Students
BA Secondary Teaching Option Candidates need to take one of the following as part of the LAS Natural Sciences general education area requirements:
BA Secondary Teaching Option Candidates need to take
as part of the LAS Social Science general education area requirements.
BA Secondary Teaching Option Candidates should complete
Secondary Teaching Option Candidates will fill up all free electives with education courses. (Students should contact the College of Education for required education courses.)
Departmental Honors Track
The UCCS mathematics department offers a special honors track to qualified math undergraduate students who are already pursuing a BA or BS in Math degree at UCCS. Admission to the honors track is by application only; an application form is available from the math undergraduate office or from the math department website. A letter of recommendation from a faculty in the Math Department is required. Students should normally apply no later than the beginning of their first semester of their junior year. Please consult the Math Department website for details about the application process.
Requirements for graduating with Departmental Honors in Mathematics:
- Maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA in all Math courses and overall 3.0 GPA
- Complete five 4000 or higher level Math courses with at least 3.3 GPA in these courses
- Complete a written report based on an undergraduate research project, a senior project in an advanced course or a senior thesis, under the supervision of a faculty advisor, and approved by the Undergraduate Committee.