The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offers course work and thesis supervision leading to the degree Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE).
Courses at the graduate level are ordinarily taught at 8:00 a.m. or after 4:30 p.m. to enable students from local industry to continue their studies.
- Be able to read, interpret, and critically assess literature in specialized fields of electrical engineering and to evaluate its impact on current issues on engineering and society.
- Be able to write acceptable technical reports and other documentation.
- Be able to give acceptable oral presentations of a technical nature.
- Be able to apply basic and advanced knowledge in science, mathematics, and engineering disciplines to perform analysis and synthesis of engineering problems.
Guaranteed Early Admission
A student who is in his or her final semester studying toward either a BSEE or BSCpE at UCCS is guaranteed admission to the MSEE program if he or she satisfies the following criteria:
- The student must have completed a maximum of 45 semester hours at UCCS at the time of graduation with the BS degree.
- The student must be registered in his or her final undergraduate semester (in either the BSEE or BSCpE programs) at the time of application to the MSEE program.
- The student must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.25.
- The student must submit a letter of recommendation from the current department chairperson.
Early admission is not available to students who are not residents of the United States of America.
The fast-track admission process is designed to offer a more efficient admission process to former undergraduate students who have graduated from UCCS no more than four years prior to the time of application to a graduate program. A student applying under the fast-track admission rules must submit the following to the Department:
- The Fast-Track Admission application form, accurately and completely filled out
- A completed residency form(back of application form), if the student claims in-state-tuition eligibility
- A check or money order (for the appropriate amount) nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts for any university level studies attempted after graduation from UCCS
- A statement giving permission to the ECE graduate program office to obtain an internal transcript from SIS for the applicant. These forms are available from the ECE office, and must be signed by the student
- A letter of recommendation (which may consist of a signed letter from the chairperson of the student’s former undergraduate department). Any student with a record that will only allow provisional admission must provide a minimum of two letters of recommendation, using the forms available from the ECE office.
Fast-track admission is only available to graduates of the College of EAS.
Regular admission to the MSEE program requires the following:
- A 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA)
- The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) may be required of any student whose GPA falls below this average or is not a graduate of an ABET accredited undergraduate program in electrical engineering. The verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning portions of the GRE are required of all foreign applicants.
Graduates of foreign universities are required to take the TOEFL exam: A score of 550-600 on the paper-based exam or, 79 or 80 on the Internet-based exam is required.
Note that units completed before admission may not all be transferable into a graduate degree program.
Students not admitted on a regular basis may be admitted on a provisional basis depending on their overall application file, including GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation, etc. Students admitted on a provisional basis are often required to take remedial courses (these are specified in the letter of acceptance). Registration for such remedial courses must commence with the first semester of a student’s program with at least three credits completed per semester until all remedial requirements are satisfied.
Applications are reviewed on a continual basis, but need to be received by April 1 (fall admission) or October 1 (spring admission) for students who are applying for assistantships. It is recommended that international students apply at least three months prior to the start of the semester to allow time to request a visa.
For more information about these programs, contact the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Graduate Program, Engineering Bldg. Room 299, or call (719) 255-3548. Send e-mail to email@example.com or see our Web page at eas.uccs.edu/ECE.
Duration of Program
The completion of the MSEE degree is normally accomplished in one to three years, and should be accomplished in six years, commencing with the beginning of course work. A student who is not continuously enrolled (missing three consecutive semesters) becomes inactive and is subject to them rules governing Readmission of Former Students outlined in the Graduate School procedures.