Any student who wishes to take ENGL 099, ENGL 131 or ENGL 141 must meet the following placement requirements:
Students may enroll without having an ACT or SAT score. Placement criteria: ACT of 18 or below, SAT of 449 or below. Contact LAS Extended Studies, Columbine 2024, (719) 255-4071, to enroll in ENGL 099.
To be admitted to ENGL 131, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- Score 19-28 on the English ACT
- Score 450-640 on the English SAT
- Complete ENGL 099 or an equivalent course completed elsewhere (credit not counted toward graduation)
Students without ACT or SAT scores must submit a writing sample to the Writing Program, Columbine 1041 for placement purposes.
To be admitted to ENGL 141, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete ENGL 131 at UCCS
- Score 29+ on the English ACT
- Score 650+ on the English SAT
- Score a 4 on the CEEB Advanced Placement English Language and Composition Exam
- Score a 5 on the IB English Examination.
- Successfully complete a first-semester composition course (equivalent to ENGL 131) at an accredited college or university with a C- or better
- Score 67% and receive a pass on the essay portion of the CLEP Freshman College Composition with essay examination to earn credit for ENGL 131
- Score 67% on the multiple choice section and receive a pass on the essay portion of the CLEP English Composition with essay exam to earn ENGL 141 placement, without credit for ENGL 131
For additional information on required courses and the writing portfolio assessment, refer to “Writing Competency Requirement” in the Admissions section of this Bulletin. For other questions concerning placement criteria, contact the Writing Program at (719) 255-4038 or (719) 255-4040.