The Department of Leadership, Research, and Foundations offers the Master of Arts degree in Leadership. The program is accredited by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) and the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE). Through this degree program students will be in partnership with a faculty of outstanding professionals who are also leaders in the field of education. They have been selected because of their commitment to excellence, their outstanding record in teaching adults, and their ability to mentor and develop leaders.
The curriculum of the Master’s degree in Leadership has been carefully designed to ensure the development of educational leaders who can transform schools and higher education institutions into learning communities in which all members of a diverse society are accorded opportunity and respect. This is a 30 credit hour program with a Masters of Arts in Leadership - P-12 Education. The program requires the completion of 9 credits of core leadership courses and 21 credits of P-12 leadership cognate courses for the MA degree.
If within 5 years of taking the first course for the MA and a student wishes to complete principal license preparation program, the additional required courses are: LEAD 6140 and the practicum course LEAD 6820.
This curriculum has been developed on a foundation of research in the areas of leadership, management, schooling, curriculum, instructional practices and learning, adult development, and technology.
As active participants in these programs, students will:
- Develop as leaders through an expanded self-knowledge and worldview
- Develop educational management competencies and leadership strategies
- Learn how to guide an educational team as they integrate recommendations from research with an assessment of the needs of a learning community and create a plan for student success
- Explore the political and social implications of schooling and the educational requirements of living in a diverse, democratic, multicultural society
- Discover how technology can be utilized to enhance management and communication
- Acquire the confidence necessary to ignite and inspire others
Further, the selection of an emphasis area allows students to concentrate their coursework in an area of leadership in which they wish to develop a particular expertise: P-12, Principal Licensure, or Student Affairs in Higher Education.
Application and Admissions Process
Visit our website for requirements.