- Professor Emeritus: Douglas Swartzendruber
- Associate Professors: Jeremy Bono, Sandy Berry-Lowe, Jeff Broker, Lisa Hines, Eugenia Olesnicky Killian, Andrew Subudhi (Chair), and Tom Wolkow
- Assistant Professors: Robert Jacobs, Meghan Lybecker, Emily Mooney, and James Pearson
- Senior Instructors: Nicole Huber
- Instructors: Samantha Adrian, Sabine Allenspach, Timothy Browne, Cheryl Doughty, Lisa Durrenberger, Jennifer Guess, Hollis Howery, and Dan Lykins
Programs of Study
The Department of Biology offers a program for honors in biology to outstanding junior and senior students at UCCS. Individuals wishing to take advantage of this program should contact the department chair at the beginning of their junior year.
Qualifications for admissions to the honors program consist of a 3.0 overall GPA and 3.5 Biology GPA. The honors applicant must register for BIOL 9490 Senior Honors Thesis to be eligible for the honors program. The course involves four phases: 1) A proposal must be submitted including a statement of the research goal, materials and methods, review of pertinent literature, and anticipated results. The proposal will be reviewed for acceptability. 2) Research must be carried out. 3) The thesis as a write-up of research should be in the form of a scholarly publication and will be reviewed for acceptability. 4) A seminar on the research must be presented to faculty and students in biology. It is strongly suggested that students initiate their work at the start of the last semester of their junior year. Through the recommendation of the faculty of the Department of Biology, the successful honor student’s degree diploma will bear the citation “with distinction, or high distinction or highest distinction in Biology.” Interested students should consult with a faculty advisor or the department chair for more information regarding the Honors Program.